Sep 6, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks will retire Pavel Bure’s number (10) on Saturday, Nov. 2, when they host the Toronto Maple Leafs.
From the press release:
Bure was a member of the Canucks from 1991.92 to 1997.98, playing his first NHL game on November 5, 1991 against Winnipeg. While with the organization, Bure tallied 478 points (254-224-478) in 428 games played. He continues to hold the franchise record for most points scored by a rookie with 60 (34-26-60) in 65 games played in 1991.92 as well as for most career shorthanded goals (24). The Moscow, Russia native also ranks in the top five in franchise history in game-winning goals (32), goals (254) and hat tricks (9). Bure shares the franchise lead in playoff goals alongside Trevor Linden, registering 34 in 60 playoff games with Vancouver. In 1994, his 16 playoff goals set a franchise record for most playoff goals in a playoff year and helped Vancouver to one win shy of a Stanley Cup Championship.
Bure was recognized for his accomplished career by being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012. He became the first player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
But despite all of the above, Bure didn’t leave the Canucks on good terms. He was traded, at his request, in early 1999 to the Florida Panthers. (For more on that, click here.)
The Canucks have retired three other players’ numbers — Stan Smyl’s (12), Trevor Linden’s (16), and Markus Naslund’s (19).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)