Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Even though he played all 48 games and tied for the team goalscoring lead in 2013, Shane Doan didn’t have an enjoyable campaign.
“Last season was a tough one where you felt like you were chasing it the whole year,” Doan told the Arizona Republic about playing with two sports hernias. “You can’t be as physical. You have no jump, and it hurts to get up.
“It hurts to move.”
The 37-year-old suffered his first hernia in 2000, then another in 2001. Those were fixed with an old medical technique of inserting mesh to fix the tears, with the mesh holding a shelf life of 10-12 years.
Last season, the shelf life essentially expired.
That led Doan to see a Philadelphia-based doctor this past summer and undergo a new hernia repair procedure, sans-mesh.
Today, the ‘Yotes captain says he can feel the improvement.
“The things that were going on make you feel older, like everything was a little more work,” he explained. “Now , you feel a little better.”
Doan appears on target to be healthy for training camp, and to start the season on time.
He’s also spent the last week participating in informal skates at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)