Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Even though he played all 48 games and tied for the team goalscoring lead in 2013, Shane Doan didn’t have an enjoyable campaign.
“Last season was a tough one where you felt like you were chasing it the whole year,” Doan told the Arizona Republic about playing with two sports hernias. “You can’t be as physical. You have no jump, and it hurts to get up.
“It hurts to move.”
The 37-year-old suffered his first hernia in 2000, then another in 2001. Those were fixed with an old medical technique of inserting mesh to fix the tears, with the mesh holding a shelf life of 10-12 years.
Last season, the shelf life essentially expired.
That led Doan to see a Philadelphia-based doctor this past summer and undergo a new hernia repair procedure, sans-mesh.
Today, the ‘Yotes captain says he can feel the improvement.
“The things that were going on make you feel older, like everything was a little more work,” he explained. “Now , you feel a little better.”
Doan appears on target to be healthy for training camp, and to start the season on time.
He’s also spent the last week participating in informal skates at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 62
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)