Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Even though he played all 48 games and tied for the team goalscoring lead in 2013, Shane Doan didn’t have an enjoyable campaign.
“Last season was a tough one where you felt like you were chasing it the whole year,” Doan told the Arizona Republic about playing with two sports hernias. “You can’t be as physical. You have no jump, and it hurts to get up.
“It hurts to move.”
The 37-year-old suffered his first hernia in 2000, then another in 2001. Those were fixed with an old medical technique of inserting mesh to fix the tears, with the mesh holding a shelf life of 10-12 years.
Last season, the shelf life essentially expired.
That led Doan to see a Philadelphia-based doctor this past summer and undergo a new hernia repair procedure, sans-mesh.
Today, the ‘Yotes captain says he can feel the improvement.
“The things that were going on make you feel older, like everything was a little more work,” he explained. “Now , you feel a little better.”
Doan appears on target to be healthy for training camp, and to start the season on time.
He’s also spent the last week participating in informal skates at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)