Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Even though he played all 48 games and tied for the team goalscoring lead in 2013, Shane Doan didn’t have an enjoyable campaign.
“Last season was a tough one where you felt like you were chasing it the whole year,” Doan told the Arizona Republic about playing with two sports hernias. “You can’t be as physical. You have no jump, and it hurts to get up.
“It hurts to move.”
The 37-year-old suffered his first hernia in 2000, then another in 2001. Those were fixed with an old medical technique of inserting mesh to fix the tears, with the mesh holding a shelf life of 10-12 years.
Last season, the shelf life essentially expired.
That led Doan to see a Philadelphia-based doctor this past summer and undergo a new hernia repair procedure, sans-mesh.
Today, the ‘Yotes captain says he can feel the improvement.
“The things that were going on make you feel older, like everything was a little more work,” he explained. “Now , you feel a little better.”
Doan appears on target to be healthy for training camp, and to start the season on time.
He’s also spent the last week participating in informal skates at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 3
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 20
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 81
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 79
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 17
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 16
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (83)
- Stoll charged with cocaine possession, but not MDMA possession (82)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)