Sep 5, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Even though he played all 48 games and tied for the team goalscoring lead in 2013, Shane Doan didn’t have an enjoyable campaign.
“Last season was a tough one where you felt like you were chasing it the whole year,” Doan told the Arizona Republic about playing with two sports hernias. “You can’t be as physical. You have no jump, and it hurts to get up.
“It hurts to move.”
The 37-year-old suffered his first hernia in 2000, then another in 2001. Those were fixed with an old medical technique of inserting mesh to fix the tears, with the mesh holding a shelf life of 10-12 years.
Last season, the shelf life essentially expired.
That led Doan to see a Philadelphia-based doctor this past summer and undergo a new hernia repair procedure, sans-mesh.
Today, the ‘Yotes captain says he can feel the improvement.
“The things that were going on make you feel older, like everything was a little more work,” he explained. “Now , you feel a little better.”
Doan appears on target to be healthy for training camp, and to start the season on time.
He’s also spent the last week participating in informal skates at the Ice Den in Scottsdale.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)