Sep 5, 2013, 6:41 PM EDT
A week of positive news for the Florida Panthers continued on Thursday, as it appears that key winger Kris Versteeg‘s knee rehab could be ahead of schedule.
The 27-year-old required season-ending knee surgery in March, and following that procedure, he estimated that he might be ready to play again in November. That recovery process has apparently gone better than expected, however, as he told the Miami Herald that he’s shooting to play in the Panthers season opener on Oct. 3.
“It’s a long process but my goal is to be ready for the start of the season,” Versteeg said. “I guess we’ll see how training camp goes. I don’t want to go into a regular season game without knowing what training camp is like. I think I’ll be there for most of it. That’s my goal.”
Versteeg skated with teammates on Thursday, so if nothing else, things are moving in the right direction.
After a breakout debut with the Panthers where he scored 23 goals and 54 points in 71 games in 2011-12, Versteeg was limited to 10 games in 2013 (collecting four points).
The Panthers haven’t made big renovations despite a lousy 2013 season, so getting a healthy Versteeg would be a significant boost.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)