Sep 5, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
It took him 43 years, but Teemu Selanne has finally accepted some limitations.
The Ducks winger told NHL.com he’s come to grips with taking games off for maintenance and to stay fresh — something he hasn’t been comfortable with in seasons past.
“Last year it was something new to me and I didn’t really want to sit out for the game,” Selanne explained. “But I realized after that it’s going to be really good for me.
“Down the road, I think [he and head coach Bruce Boudreau] can both sit down and see when the schedule is really hectic, I can take some nights off.”
After a red-hot start to the shortened 2013 campaign, Selanne slowed down the stretch and saw a decrease in playing time. He received less than 13 minutes in four different games in late March/early April and averaged just 14 in the playoffs, a full minute less than Daniel Winnik received.
Selanne’s shift in opinion also has to do with Olympic participation. He’s hoping to represent Finland in Sochi next year and knows that, once he returns from the games, he’ll need to focus on rest.
“It’s going to be better for me,” he explained. “There are going to be nights when I’m going to say or he [Boudreau] is going to say, ‘It would be best for us.’
“We’ve got to be smart.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)