Sep 5, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
It took him 43 years, but Teemu Selanne has finally accepted some limitations.
The Ducks winger told NHL.com he’s come to grips with taking games off for maintenance and to stay fresh — something he hasn’t been comfortable with in seasons past.
“Last year it was something new to me and I didn’t really want to sit out for the game,” Selanne explained. “But I realized after that it’s going to be really good for me.
“Down the road, I think [he and head coach Bruce Boudreau] can both sit down and see when the schedule is really hectic, I can take some nights off.”
After a red-hot start to the shortened 2013 campaign, Selanne slowed down the stretch and saw a decrease in playing time. He received less than 13 minutes in four different games in late March/early April and averaged just 14 in the playoffs, a full minute less than Daniel Winnik received.
Selanne’s shift in opinion also has to do with Olympic participation. He’s hoping to represent Finland in Sochi next year and knows that, once he returns from the games, he’ll need to focus on rest.
“It’s going to be better for me,” he explained. “There are going to be nights when I’m going to say or he [Boudreau] is going to say, ‘It would be best for us.’
“We’ve got to be smart.”
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)