Sep 5, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
It took him 43 years, but Teemu Selanne has finally accepted some limitations.
The Ducks winger told NHL.com he’s come to grips with taking games off for maintenance and to stay fresh — something he hasn’t been comfortable with in seasons past.
“Last year it was something new to me and I didn’t really want to sit out for the game,” Selanne explained. “But I realized after that it’s going to be really good for me.
“Down the road, I think [he and head coach Bruce Boudreau] can both sit down and see when the schedule is really hectic, I can take some nights off.”
After a red-hot start to the shortened 2013 campaign, Selanne slowed down the stretch and saw a decrease in playing time. He received less than 13 minutes in four different games in late March/early April and averaged just 14 in the playoffs, a full minute less than Daniel Winnik received.
Selanne’s shift in opinion also has to do with Olympic participation. He’s hoping to represent Finland in Sochi next year and knows that, once he returns from the games, he’ll need to focus on rest.
“It’s going to be better for me,” he explained. “There are going to be nights when I’m going to say or he [Boudreau] is going to say, ‘It would be best for us.’
“We’ve got to be smart.”
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 4
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)