Sep 5, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
With just six days ’til the start of training camp, the Washington Capitals and unsigned RFA forward Marcus Johansson know it’s crunch time for contract negotiations.
“We’re hoping he’ll be here,” Caps GM George McPhee told the Washington Post on Wednesday. “We’re hoping we’ll have a deal done by then, we’ll keep talking.”
Johansson, 22, scored 22 points in 34 games for the Caps last year — the highest point-per-game total of his three-year career — and emerged as a top-line forward alongside Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin.
As for what he’s looking for monetarily?
The Post’s Katie Carrera reports Johansson’s “believed” to be gunning for a deal slightly higher than the two-year, $4.5 million deal Carl Hagelin got from the Rangers in July.
Johansson’s a bit more proven commodity than Hagelin — one more season, 71 more games played, 33 more points scored — so it’s not surprising to learn he’d like a slightly more lucrative deal.
The question, though, is if Washington’s willing to give it.
The Caps only have $2.6 million in available cap space for this season, and 12 forwards on one-way NHL contracts.
Of course, McPhee said the Johansson contract isn’t contingent upon either of those issues.
“We try to negotiate on what the player is now and what he’s going to be and attach a number to it and that’s what we try to get to,” McPhee said. “It’s not about using the cap in one way or another to get to a deal.
“It’s, ‘What is this guy worth? What is he right now? And what can we expect him to be?’”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)