Sep 5, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
With just six days ’til the start of training camp, the Washington Capitals and unsigned RFA forward Marcus Johansson know it’s crunch time for contract negotiations.
“We’re hoping he’ll be here,” Caps GM George McPhee told the Washington Post on Wednesday. “We’re hoping we’ll have a deal done by then, we’ll keep talking.”
Johansson, 22, scored 22 points in 34 games for the Caps last year — the highest point-per-game total of his three-year career — and emerged as a top-line forward alongside Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin.
As for what he’s looking for monetarily?
The Post’s Katie Carrera reports Johansson’s “believed” to be gunning for a deal slightly higher than the two-year, $4.5 million deal Carl Hagelin got from the Rangers in July.
Johansson’s a bit more proven commodity than Hagelin — one more season, 71 more games played, 33 more points scored — so it’s not surprising to learn he’d like a slightly more lucrative deal.
The question, though, is if Washington’s willing to give it.
The Caps only have $2.6 million in available cap space for this season, and 12 forwards on one-way NHL contracts.
Of course, McPhee said the Johansson contract isn’t contingent upon either of those issues.
“We try to negotiate on what the player is now and what he’s going to be and attach a number to it and that’s what we try to get to,” McPhee said. “It’s not about using the cap in one way or another to get to a deal.
“It’s, ‘What is this guy worth? What is he right now? And what can we expect him to be?’”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)