Sep 5, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
No, it’s not a particularly big deal. But yes, it’s been picked up by numerous media outlets, so we’re going to pass it along.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season — a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.
The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen’s Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.
The Jets say the issue has been dealt with. The two tickets were reportedly for texting while driving and driving without a valid license.
From CBC News, quoting Jets spokesperson Scott Brown:
“The Winnipeg Hockey Club did pay the fines and then Evander worked with us and repaid us,” he said. “It’s not a situation where Evander knowingly didn’t pay the fines or purposely didn’t pay the fines.” Brown said the 22-year-old Kane just “forgot” about the tickets.
“It’s a set of unfortunate circumstances … that could have happen to a lot of people and just happened to happen to Evander Kane, which of course he comes with a spotlight.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)