Sep 5, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
No, it’s not a particularly big deal. But yes, it’s been picked up by numerous media outlets, so we’re going to pass it along.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season — a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.
The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen’s Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.
The Jets say the issue has been dealt with. The two tickets were reportedly for texting while driving and driving without a valid license.
From CBC News, quoting Jets spokesperson Scott Brown:
“The Winnipeg Hockey Club did pay the fines and then Evander worked with us and repaid us,” he said. “It’s not a situation where Evander knowingly didn’t pay the fines or purposely didn’t pay the fines.” Brown said the 22-year-old Kane just “forgot” about the tickets.
“It’s a set of unfortunate circumstances … that could have happen to a lot of people and just happened to happen to Evander Kane, which of course he comes with a spotlight.”
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)