Sep 5, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
No, it’s not a particularly big deal. But yes, it’s been picked up by numerous media outlets, so we’re going to pass it along.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season — a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.
The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen’s Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.
The Jets say the issue has been dealt with. The two tickets were reportedly for texting while driving and driving without a valid license.
From CBC News, quoting Jets spokesperson Scott Brown:
“The Winnipeg Hockey Club did pay the fines and then Evander worked with us and repaid us,” he said. “It’s not a situation where Evander knowingly didn’t pay the fines or purposely didn’t pay the fines.” Brown said the 22-year-old Kane just “forgot” about the tickets.
“It’s a set of unfortunate circumstances … that could have happen to a lot of people and just happened to happen to Evander Kane, which of course he comes with a spotlight.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)