Sep 5, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
No, it’s not a particularly big deal. But yes, it’s been picked up by numerous media outlets, so we’re going to pass it along.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season — a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.
The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen’s Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.
The Jets say the issue has been dealt with. The two tickets were reportedly for texting while driving and driving without a valid license.
From CBC News, quoting Jets spokesperson Scott Brown:
“The Winnipeg Hockey Club did pay the fines and then Evander worked with us and repaid us,” he said. “It’s not a situation where Evander knowingly didn’t pay the fines or purposely didn’t pay the fines.” Brown said the 22-year-old Kane just “forgot” about the tickets.
“It’s a set of unfortunate circumstances … that could have happen to a lot of people and just happened to happen to Evander Kane, which of course he comes with a spotlight.”
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)