Sep 5, 2013, 10:41 AM EDT
No, it’s not a particularly big deal. But yes, it’s been picked up by numerous media outlets, so we’re going to pass it along.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane has suffered his first hit of the upcoming hockey season — a court order garnishing his wages for refusing to pay a pair of outstanding traffic tickets.
The Manitoba government took the unusual step of filing a Court of Queen’s Bench motion in an attempt to recoup $650.80 in fines and costs from Kane, a budding NHL superstar who signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract earlier this summer.
The Jets say the issue has been dealt with. The two tickets were reportedly for texting while driving and driving without a valid license.
From CBC News, quoting Jets spokesperson Scott Brown:
“The Winnipeg Hockey Club did pay the fines and then Evander worked with us and repaid us,” he said. “It’s not a situation where Evander knowingly didn’t pay the fines or purposely didn’t pay the fines.” Brown said the 22-year-old Kane just “forgot” about the tickets.
“It’s a set of unfortunate circumstances … that could have happen to a lot of people and just happened to happen to Evander Kane, which of course he comes with a spotlight.”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 2
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 2
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 10
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)