Sep 5, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Laughton, 19, played five games for the Flyers in 2013. He failed to score a point in that brief stint, but as the 20th pick from the 2012 NHL Draft, he’s a prominent figure in the team’s pipeline.
Holmgren’s assessment shouldn’t come as a surprise, even ignoring Laughton’s cup of coffee at the NHL level. Hockey’s Future ranks him as one of the team’s top prospects and their best center, for one.
He’s generally regarded as a more defensive forward, so he could very well make sense as a bottom-six forward for the Flyers next season, if the team believes he’s truly ready for full-time duty.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 7
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 16
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)