Sep 5, 2013, 11:26 PM EST
Months later, Pittsburgh Penguins stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin looked back at that Eastern Conference finals sweep at the hands of the Boston Bruins with ESPN. There’s no denying it; it’s taken a while for them to recover.
“It stung,” Crosby said.
“It was one of those ones that definitely took a while to wear off. Looking back, probably right until Chicago won, it was pretty tough to go a day without it crossing your mind when you’re seeing the finals going on. I didn’t watch a game until Game 6. I tried not to think about it too much, but it did pass through my mind. I think until I started working out and started to get ready for this year, it was tough to turn the page there.”
Malkin emphasized the shock of going from being the highest scoring team in the NHL to a squad that could manage just two goals in four high-profile games, wondering if it was more a matter of luck or Boston’s great play.
“We know [we] have great chance to win one again,” Malkin said.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 4
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 12
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)