Sep 5, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
In 2005, Dan Cleary showed up at Red Wings training camp on a tryout basis, and won himself a contract.
Eight years later, he’s hoping to do the same.
The 34-year-old veteran forward sounds as though he’ll attend Red Wings camp in Traverse City, Mi., on a professional try out basis, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper Cleary was “welcome” at camp after spending the summer mulling over options — including overtures from other clubs.
Here’s more, from the Free Press:
The Wings offered him a deal before free agency began in July, but Cleary ended up hitting the market and was pursued by the likes of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who even had their captain, Sidney Crosby, call as a pitchman, as well as Anaheim and Philadelphia.
Cleary ultimately decided he wants to stay in Detroit, and the Wings do want him back.
The holdup, of course, is Detroit’s logjam at forward, with 16 skaters under contract and plans to only carry 14 on the active roster (this also doesn’t count Damien Brunner, the 27-year-old Swiss forward that had 26 points in 44 games last year and is also still without a deal.)
Cleary could find his way into action if Darren Helm‘s back doesn’t improve — he’s still not able to skate pain-free — and Mikael Samuelsson can’t overcome the injuries that plagued him throughout last season.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 63
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 20
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 48
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink (64)