Sep 5, 2013, 10:38 AM EDT
In 2005, Dan Cleary showed up at Red Wings training camp on a tryout basis, and won himself a contract.
Eight years later, he’s hoping to do the same.
The 34-year-old veteran forward sounds as though he’ll attend Red Wings camp in Traverse City, Mi., on a professional try out basis, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Wings GM Ken Holland told the paper Cleary was “welcome” at camp after spending the summer mulling over options — including overtures from other clubs.
Here’s more, from the Free Press:
The Wings offered him a deal before free agency began in July, but Cleary ended up hitting the market and was pursued by the likes of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who even had their captain, Sidney Crosby, call as a pitchman, as well as Anaheim and Philadelphia.
Cleary ultimately decided he wants to stay in Detroit, and the Wings do want him back.
The holdup, of course, is Detroit’s logjam at forward, with 16 skaters under contract and plans to only carry 14 on the active roster (this also doesn’t count Damien Brunner, the 27-year-old Swiss forward that had 26 points in 44 games last year and is also still without a deal.)
Cleary could find his way into action if Darren Helm‘s back doesn’t improve — he’s still not able to skate pain-free — and Mikael Samuelsson can’t overcome the injuries that plagued him throughout last season.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)