Sep 5, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
Yes, Brian Burke is the Calgary Flames’ new president of hockey operations.
No, that doesn’t mean Jay Feaster isn’t the general manager anymore, or more importantly, that he won’t be deeply involved in making the club’s hockey-related decisions going forward. Which is to say, Feaster is not Calgary’s version of Greg Sherman in Colorado.
“I don’t intend to be front and center,” said Burke at today’s introductory press conference, referring to his position as a “background role” with an “advisory” focus.
“I know people think I need to be driving the bus all the time. I’m actually a very good teammate, too.”
Feaster will, however, report to Burke, who will have “overall responsibility for the sport side” of the organization, according to president and CEO Ken King.
Publicly, Feaster cheered the addition of his new boss, saying, “To be able to tap into that wealth of knowledge on a daily basis is a great thing.”
How the two men work together remains to be seen. But as far as the team is concerned, Burke did say he wanted the Flames to play an entertaining style, with an emphasis on physical play.
“Successful teams in the league are big, we are going to get bigger,” said Burke.
We’ll have more on Burke’s hiring later today, with a look at the challenges he faces in turning around the Flames.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 3
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 19
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)