Sep 4, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner is under fire after a picture of him hoisting the severed head of a grizzly bear appeared online.
Stoner, 28, appears in an image believed to be taken in May by workers in British Columbia’s Kwatna estuary, a First Nations village.
That photo has angered the Coastal First Nations’ Bear Working Group, which has instituted a non-government-recognized ban on tribal hunting.
“Last May, trophy hunters shot and killed a five-year-old grizzly bear,” read a media release from the CFN, as per The Province. “The bear, nicknamed ‘Cheeky’ by local field technicians, was skinned and left to rot in a field.
“His head and paws were carried out past a sign declaring trophy hunting closed in the Great Bear Rainforest.”
Stoner issued a statement about the incident through a Wild spokesman.
“I grew up hunting and fishing in British Columbia and continue to enjoy spending time with my family outdoors,” Stoner said, also per The Province. “I applied for and received a grizzly bear hunting license through a British Columbia limited entry lottery last winter and shot a grizzly bear with my license while hunting with my father, uncle and a friend in May.
“I love to hunt and fish and will continue to do so with my family and friends in British Columbia.”
It’s believed about 100 bears are hunted and killed annually in the Great Bear Rainforest, a remote region in B.C. between Vancouver Island and Southeast Alaska.
(Image courtesy The Province)
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 22
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 34
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11