Sep 4, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Minnesota Wild defenseman Clayton Stoner is under fire after a picture of him hoisting the severed head of a grizzly bear appeared online.
Stoner, 28, appears in an image believed to be taken in May by workers in British Columbia’s Kwatna estuary, a First Nations village.
That photo has angered the Coastal First Nations’ Bear Working Group, which has instituted a non-government-recognized ban on tribal hunting.
“Last May, trophy hunters shot and killed a five-year-old grizzly bear,” read a media release from the CFN, as per The Province. “The bear, nicknamed ‘Cheeky’ by local field technicians, was skinned and left to rot in a field.
“His head and paws were carried out past a sign declaring trophy hunting closed in the Great Bear Rainforest.”
Stoner issued a statement about the incident through a Wild spokesman.
“I grew up hunting and fishing in British Columbia and continue to enjoy spending time with my family outdoors,” Stoner said, also per The Province. “I applied for and received a grizzly bear hunting license through a British Columbia limited entry lottery last winter and shot a grizzly bear with my license while hunting with my father, uncle and a friend in May.
“I love to hunt and fish and will continue to do so with my family and friends in British Columbia.”
It’s believed about 100 bears are hunted and killed annually in the Great Bear Rainforest, a remote region in B.C. between Vancouver Island and Southeast Alaska.
(Image courtesy The Province)
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)