Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
JP Barry, the agent for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, believes his 32-year-old clients “still have many years left to play in the game.” As such, the “topic of term becomes a big topic” when it comes to the twins’ contract-extension talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Barry made those comments yesterday to the Globe and Mail, and they were actually quite interesting. Because while term is a “big topic” in almost any contract negotiation, the suggestion that the twins will be seeking a multi-year deal stands in contrast to what Daniel indicated in November when he said he and his brother may choose to go year-to-year after their current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said then, per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.
“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”
Fast forward back to the present, though, and the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre believes the twins “aren’t re-signing for less than three years.”
At any rate, contract talks will reportedly get underway this week. Whether an extension is announced prior to the start of the season remains to be seen.
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” said Henrik. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)