Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
JP Barry, the agent for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, believes his 32-year-old clients “still have many years left to play in the game.” As such, the “topic of term becomes a big topic” when it comes to the twins’ contract-extension talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Barry made those comments yesterday to the Globe and Mail, and they were actually quite interesting. Because while term is a “big topic” in almost any contract negotiation, the suggestion that the twins will be seeking a multi-year deal stands in contrast to what Daniel indicated in November when he said he and his brother may choose to go year-to-year after their current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said then, per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.
“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”
Fast forward back to the present, though, and the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre believes the twins “aren’t re-signing for less than three years.”
At any rate, contract talks will reportedly get underway this week. Whether an extension is announced prior to the start of the season remains to be seen.
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” said Henrik. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 36
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)