Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
JP Barry, the agent for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, believes his 32-year-old clients “still have many years left to play in the game.” As such, the “topic of term becomes a big topic” when it comes to the twins’ contract-extension talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Barry made those comments yesterday to the Globe and Mail, and they were actually quite interesting. Because while term is a “big topic” in almost any contract negotiation, the suggestion that the twins will be seeking a multi-year deal stands in contrast to what Daniel indicated in November when he said he and his brother may choose to go year-to-year after their current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said then, per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.
“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”
Fast forward back to the present, though, and the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre believes the twins “aren’t re-signing for less than three years.”
At any rate, contract talks will reportedly get underway this week. Whether an extension is announced prior to the start of the season remains to be seen.
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” said Henrik. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 1
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 6
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 18
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11