Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
JP Barry, the agent for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, believes his 32-year-old clients “still have many years left to play in the game.” As such, the “topic of term becomes a big topic” when it comes to the twins’ contract-extension talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Barry made those comments yesterday to the Globe and Mail, and they were actually quite interesting. Because while term is a “big topic” in almost any contract negotiation, the suggestion that the twins will be seeking a multi-year deal stands in contrast to what Daniel indicated in November when he said he and his brother may choose to go year-to-year after their current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said then, per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.
“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”
Fast forward back to the present, though, and the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre believes the twins “aren’t re-signing for less than three years.”
At any rate, contract talks will reportedly get underway this week. Whether an extension is announced prior to the start of the season remains to be seen.
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” said Henrik. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 5
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (57)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)