Sep 4, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
JP Barry, the agent for Henrik and Daniel Sedin, believes his 32-year-old clients “still have many years left to play in the game.” As such, the “topic of term becomes a big topic” when it comes to the twins’ contract-extension talks with the Vancouver Canucks.
Barry made those comments yesterday to the Globe and Mail, and they were actually quite interesting. Because while term is a “big topic” in almost any contract negotiation, the suggestion that the twins will be seeking a multi-year deal stands in contrast to what Daniel indicated in November when he said he and his brother may choose to go year-to-year after their current deal expires following the 2013-14 season.
“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said then, per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.
“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”
Fast forward back to the present, though, and the Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre believes the twins “aren’t re-signing for less than three years.”
At any rate, contract talks will reportedly get underway this week. Whether an extension is announced prior to the start of the season remains to be seen.
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” said Henrik. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things. So I’m sure it’s not going to happen in one day, but we’ll see what happens.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)