Sep 4, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Late update (11:20 ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Brian Burke is “deep in discussions” with the Calgary Flames, but nothing is done yet.
Reports are circulating that the Flames might be primed to hire Burke as the team’s new CEO.
Bruce Dowbiggin cites sources who explain that Burke is headed to the area to roll out the announcement, while Rogers Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that there’s “more than a little fire” to back up that smoke.
Going further, McKenzie recalls that Burke fired down similar rumors in June – he visited Calgary because his daughter lives in the area – but notes that the rumblings haven’t been confirmed or denied on Wednesday.
Update: Fan 960′s Josh Humphries reports that Burke is in town to participate in a charity event on Thursday. Is that all he’s in town for? We’ll see.
While we wait, it’s worth noting a few points:
- The team was hoping to fill an executive position, even talking with Brendan Shanahan, so it’s clear the organization wants to make a move in the future.
- Burke orchestrated a big move with Calgary, as he brought Dion Phaneuf to Toronto during his days as Maple Leafs GM.
- Current Flames GM Jay Feaster is an avowed fan of Burke, as you can see back in this 2009 column for The Hockey News.
- Maybe the most entertaining consideration: Burke can renew his rivalry with Edmonton Oilers exec Kevin Lowe, with the added bonus of it being the Battle of Alberta.
It all shapes up for an interesting hypothetical situation, but we’ll wait and see if there really is much fire to go with the smoke.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)