Sep 4, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Late update (11:20 ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Brian Burke is “deep in discussions” with the Calgary Flames, but nothing is done yet.
Reports are circulating that the Flames might be primed to hire Burke as the team’s new CEO.
Bruce Dowbiggin cites sources who explain that Burke is headed to the area to roll out the announcement, while Rogers Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that there’s “more than a little fire” to back up that smoke.
Going further, McKenzie recalls that Burke fired down similar rumors in June – he visited Calgary because his daughter lives in the area – but notes that the rumblings haven’t been confirmed or denied on Wednesday.
Update: Fan 960’s Josh Humphries reports that Burke is in town to participate in a charity event on Thursday. Is that all he’s in town for? We’ll see.
While we wait, it’s worth noting a few points:
- The team was hoping to fill an executive position, even talking with Brendan Shanahan, so it’s clear the organization wants to make a move in the future.
- Burke orchestrated a big move with Calgary, as he brought Dion Phaneuf to Toronto during his days as Maple Leafs GM.
- Current Flames GM Jay Feaster is an avowed fan of Burke, as you can see back in this 2009 column for The Hockey News.
- Maybe the most entertaining consideration: Burke can renew his rivalry with Edmonton Oilers exec Kevin Lowe, with the added bonus of it being the Battle of Alberta.
It all shapes up for an interesting hypothetical situation, but we’ll wait and see if there really is much fire to go with the smoke.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)