Sep 4, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Late update (11:20 ET): TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that Brian Burke is “deep in discussions” with the Calgary Flames, but nothing is done yet.
Reports are circulating that the Flames might be primed to hire Burke as the team’s new CEO.
Bruce Dowbiggin cites sources who explain that Burke is headed to the area to roll out the announcement, while Rogers Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports that there’s “more than a little fire” to back up that smoke.
Going further, McKenzie recalls that Burke fired down similar rumors in June – he visited Calgary because his daughter lives in the area – but notes that the rumblings haven’t been confirmed or denied on Wednesday.
Update: Fan 960’s Josh Humphries reports that Burke is in town to participate in a charity event on Thursday. Is that all he’s in town for? We’ll see.
While we wait, it’s worth noting a few points:
- The team was hoping to fill an executive position, even talking with Brendan Shanahan, so it’s clear the organization wants to make a move in the future.
- Burke orchestrated a big move with Calgary, as he brought Dion Phaneuf to Toronto during his days as Maple Leafs GM.
- Current Flames GM Jay Feaster is an avowed fan of Burke, as you can see back in this 2009 column for The Hockey News.
- Maybe the most entertaining consideration: Burke can renew his rivalry with Edmonton Oilers exec Kevin Lowe, with the added bonus of it being the Battle of Alberta.
It all shapes up for an interesting hypothetical situation, but we’ll wait and see if there really is much fire to go with the smoke.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 18
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)