Sep 4, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Points-per-game wise, Olli Jokinen‘s 2013 NHL season (14 points in 45 games for the Jets) was his worst since 2000-01 (16 points in 78 games), when he was still a young member of the Florida Panthers.
Which is to say, you’ll excuse though who are pessimistic about his chances to bounce back in 2013-14.
But Jokinen’s not pessimistic. Not even close.
“I think I’m going to have five, six big seasons left,” he said yesterday, per the Winnipeg Sun. “I’m not nearly as done as you guys probably think. I have a lot of years (left). I’ve been playing a long time and I still think I can play five, six years at this level — easily.”
After signing the veteran Finn to a two-year, $9 million contract in the summer of 2012, the Jets are hoping he’s right. If not, young Mark Scheifele could see top-six time in the middle.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 33
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 86
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (86)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)