Sep 4, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
With the offseason winding down, forward Brenden Morrow is one of the more intriguing unrestricted free agents left. No one is going to mistake him for a superstar, but he will chip in offensively while playing a physical style and providing veteran leadership.
So it would be surprising to see the 34-year-old start the 2013-14 season without a contract and it does indeed look like there’s interest in him. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford has been in contact with Morrow, prompting a possible reunion between Morrow and his former teammate and current head coach, Kirk Muller.
“He knows where we stood as far as our interest in him,” Muller told the News & Observer. “I know he has different opportunities, but he has made it clear Carolina is a spot he has on his radar.”
That might be the case, but even with training camp rapidly approaching, it sounds like nothing is imminent.
“Teams I’d prefer to play on are having a tough time moving cap space. I’m in no hurry.”
The idea that he might be waiting for a team to make room for him is interesting because it might tie back to Carolina to a degree. Rutherford explained in July that an unnamed player was willing to take a discount on a one-year deal in order to play for them, but the holdup was that Rutherford had to “move a player out before we’re able to add a player.”
At the time, it was believed that Rutherford’s mystery player was Jaromir Jagr and that might have been the case, but Carolina hasn’t moved a player since Rutherford’s statement, so the same potential roadblock might still apply.
Meanwhile, another former teammate of Muller and Morrow’s, forward Radek Dvorak, has agreed to a professional tryout with Carolina in order to attend their training camp.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)