Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Ales Hemsky is “off the market,” according to Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish.
“We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression,” MacTavish said today. “We want him to play a prominent role.”
While Horcoff was indeed dealt (to Dallas), Hemsky remains. And so does his contract, with one year remaining on it and a cap hit of $5 million.
In 2013, Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games while averaging just 15:42 of ice time. Whether he sees more ice under new head coach Dallas Eakins remains to be seen; the Oilers will have no shortage of talented wingers competing for top-six minutes, including Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, David Perron, and Nail Yakupov.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)