Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Ales Hemsky is “off the market,” according to Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish.
“We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression,” MacTavish said today. “We want him to play a prominent role.”
While Horcoff was indeed dealt (to Dallas), Hemsky remains. And so does his contract, with one year remaining on it and a cap hit of $5 million.
In 2013, Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games while averaging just 15:42 of ice time. Whether he sees more ice under new head coach Dallas Eakins remains to be seen; the Oilers will have no shortage of talented wingers competing for top-six minutes, including Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, David Perron, and Nail Yakupov.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)