Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Ales Hemsky is “off the market,” according to Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish.
“We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression,” MacTavish said today. “We want him to play a prominent role.”
While Horcoff was indeed dealt (to Dallas), Hemsky remains. And so does his contract, with one year remaining on it and a cap hit of $5 million.
In 2013, Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games while averaging just 15:42 of ice time. Whether he sees more ice under new head coach Dallas Eakins remains to be seen; the Oilers will have no shortage of talented wingers competing for top-six minutes, including Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, David Perron, and Nail Yakupov.
"I'm happy to be back and I just want to help this team turn things around. I want to be a leader and help the young guys." – Hemsky—
Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) September 04, 2013
"I don't want to get into any details." Answer from Craig MacTavish on if he was close to dealing Ales Hemsky.—
Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) September 04, 2013
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)