Sep 4, 2013, 11:49 AM EDT
Ales Hemsky is “off the market,” according to Edmonton general manager Craig MacTavish.
“We want (Ales) to come in and make an impression,” MacTavish said today. “We want him to play a prominent role.”
While Horcoff was indeed dealt (to Dallas), Hemsky remains. And so does his contract, with one year remaining on it and a cap hit of $5 million.
In 2013, Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games while averaging just 15:42 of ice time. Whether he sees more ice under new head coach Dallas Eakins remains to be seen; the Oilers will have no shortage of talented wingers competing for top-six minutes, including Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, David Perron, and Nail Yakupov.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 7
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 16
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)