Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Many figured the Devils’ acquisition of Cory Schneider would bump Johan Hedberg out of the picture.
Well, that’s true — but not entirely.
The veteran netminder reportedly has as standing offer to join the organization in an unspecified position, according to the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
It’s something the 40-year-old is considering.
“We’ve been talking about different things,” Hedberg explained. “Nothing is concrete. I’m still going to hang around the team. Not playing. It’s a great organization.”
The move would remain consistent with GM Lou Lamoriello’s trend of keeping the Devils family close.
There are three ex-Devils on the coaching staff (Scott Stevens, Chris Terreri, Dave Barr); former bench boss Jacques Lemaire still works as a special assignment coach; former defenseman Tommy Albelin is an assistant with AHL Albany and ex-forward Sergei Brylin is working in a special assignment/scout role.
Hedberg could soon be the latest Devil to stick with New Jersey after his playing days are done.
“[No playing options] as of today,” he said. “There were some teams interested. I didn’t feel like breaking up the family again and moving away. I needed some time to think. I’m still not done with that process.
“For now we’re going to stay put.”
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 42
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)