Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Many figured the Devils’ acquisition of Cory Schneider would bump Johan Hedberg out of the picture.
Well, that’s true — but not entirely.
The veteran netminder reportedly has as standing offer to join the organization in an unspecified position, according to the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
It’s something the 40-year-old is considering.
“We’ve been talking about different things,” Hedberg explained. “Nothing is concrete. I’m still going to hang around the team. Not playing. It’s a great organization.”
The move would remain consistent with GM Lou Lamoriello’s trend of keeping the Devils family close.
There are three ex-Devils on the coaching staff (Scott Stevens, Chris Terreri, Dave Barr); former bench boss Jacques Lemaire still works as a special assignment coach; former defenseman Tommy Albelin is an assistant with AHL Albany and ex-forward Sergei Brylin is working in a special assignment/scout role.
Hedberg could soon be the latest Devil to stick with New Jersey after his playing days are done.
“[No playing options] as of today,” he said. “There were some teams interested. I didn’t feel like breaking up the family again and moving away. I needed some time to think. I’m still not done with that process.
“For now we’re going to stay put.”
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 0
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)