Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Many figured the Devils’ acquisition of Cory Schneider would bump Johan Hedberg out of the picture.
Well, that’s true — but not entirely.
The veteran netminder reportedly has as standing offer to join the organization in an unspecified position, according to the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
It’s something the 40-year-old is considering.
“We’ve been talking about different things,” Hedberg explained. “Nothing is concrete. I’m still going to hang around the team. Not playing. It’s a great organization.”
The move would remain consistent with GM Lou Lamoriello’s trend of keeping the Devils family close.
There are three ex-Devils on the coaching staff (Scott Stevens, Chris Terreri, Dave Barr); former bench boss Jacques Lemaire still works as a special assignment coach; former defenseman Tommy Albelin is an assistant with AHL Albany and ex-forward Sergei Brylin is working in a special assignment/scout role.
Hedberg could soon be the latest Devil to stick with New Jersey after his playing days are done.
“[No playing options] as of today,” he said. “There were some teams interested. I didn’t feel like breaking up the family again and moving away. I needed some time to think. I’m still not done with that process.
“For now we’re going to stay put.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)