Sep 4, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Many figured the Devils’ acquisition of Cory Schneider would bump Johan Hedberg out of the picture.
Well, that’s true — but not entirely.
The veteran netminder reportedly has as standing offer to join the organization in an unspecified position, according to the New Jersey Star-Ledger.
It’s something the 40-year-old is considering.
“We’ve been talking about different things,” Hedberg explained. “Nothing is concrete. I’m still going to hang around the team. Not playing. It’s a great organization.”
The move would remain consistent with GM Lou Lamoriello’s trend of keeping the Devils family close.
There are three ex-Devils on the coaching staff (Scott Stevens, Chris Terreri, Dave Barr); former bench boss Jacques Lemaire still works as a special assignment coach; former defenseman Tommy Albelin is an assistant with AHL Albany and ex-forward Sergei Brylin is working in a special assignment/scout role.
Hedberg could soon be the latest Devil to stick with New Jersey after his playing days are done.
“[No playing options] as of today,” he said. “There were some teams interested. I didn’t feel like breaking up the family again and moving away. I needed some time to think. I’m still not done with that process.
“For now we’re going to stay put.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 0
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 39
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)