Sep 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Jarry, 18, was Pittsburgh’s first selection (44th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. The former WHL Edmonton standout was the second goalie off the board, behind Montreal’s Zach Fucale (36th overall).
Murray, 19, was Pittsburgh’s third-round selection (83rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and the 10th goalie taken overall after a solid campaign with OHL Sault Ste. Marie.
Though they’re years away from making an impact at the NHL level, both Jarry and Murray will be prospects to keep an eye on, as the Pens have a rather interesting scenario developing in goal.
Down in AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, goaltending duties were split last season between Jeff Zatkoff (a 26-year-old with one year left on his deal) and Brad Thiessen, now playing in Finland.
The club also has former Quinnipiac University standout and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell in the mix. Hartzell, 24, was an undrafted free agent that signed with the Pens in July.
Of note: prior to Jarry and Murray, the Pens hadn’t drafted a goalie since 2008, when they took Alexandre Pechurskiy and Patrick Killeen in the fifth and sixth round.
Both are no longer with the organization.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)