Sep 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
Jarry, 18, was Pittsburgh’s first selection (44th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. The former WHL Edmonton standout was the second goalie off the board, behind Montreal’s Zach Fucale (36th overall).
Murray, 19, was Pittsburgh’s third-round selection (83rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and the 10th goalie taken overall after a solid campaign with OHL Sault Ste. Marie.
Though they’re years away from making an impact at the NHL level, both Jarry and Murray will be prospects to keep an eye on, as the Pens have a rather interesting scenario developing in goal.
Down in AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, goaltending duties were split last season between Jeff Zatkoff (a 26-year-old with one year left on his deal) and Brad Thiessen, now playing in Finland.
The club also has former Quinnipiac University standout and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell in the mix. Hartzell, 24, was an undrafted free agent that signed with the Pens in July.
Of note: prior to Jarry and Murray, the Pens hadn’t drafted a goalie since 2008, when they took Alexandre Pechurskiy and Patrick Killeen in the fifth and sixth round.
Both are no longer with the organization.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)