Sep 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Jarry, 18, was Pittsburgh’s first selection (44th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. The former WHL Edmonton standout was the second goalie off the board, behind Montreal’s Zach Fucale (36th overall).
Murray, 19, was Pittsburgh’s third-round selection (83rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and the 10th goalie taken overall after a solid campaign with OHL Sault Ste. Marie.
Though they’re years away from making an impact at the NHL level, both Jarry and Murray will be prospects to keep an eye on, as the Pens have a rather interesting scenario developing in goal.
Down in AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, goaltending duties were split last season between Jeff Zatkoff (a 26-year-old with one year left on his deal) and Brad Thiessen, now playing in Finland.
The club also has former Quinnipiac University standout and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell in the mix. Hartzell, 24, was an undrafted free agent that signed with the Pens in July.
Of note: prior to Jarry and Murray, the Pens hadn’t drafted a goalie since 2008, when they took Alexandre Pechurskiy and Patrick Killeen in the fifth and sixth round.
Both are no longer with the organization.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)