Sep 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
Jarry, 18, was Pittsburgh’s first selection (44th overall) at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. The former WHL Edmonton standout was the second goalie off the board, behind Montreal’s Zach Fucale (36th overall).
Murray, 19, was Pittsburgh’s third-round selection (83rd overall) at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, and the 10th goalie taken overall after a solid campaign with OHL Sault Ste. Marie.
Though they’re years away from making an impact at the NHL level, both Jarry and Murray will be prospects to keep an eye on, as the Pens have a rather interesting scenario developing in goal.
Down in AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, goaltending duties were split last season between Jeff Zatkoff (a 26-year-old with one year left on his deal) and Brad Thiessen, now playing in Finland.
The club also has former Quinnipiac University standout and Hobey Baker finalist Eric Hartzell in the mix. Hartzell, 24, was an undrafted free agent that signed with the Pens in July.
Of note: prior to Jarry and Murray, the Pens hadn’t drafted a goalie since 2008, when they took Alexandre Pechurskiy and Patrick Killeen in the fifth and sixth round.
Both are no longer with the organization.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)