Sep 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames acknowledged being in rebuild mode, but Wednesday presented a couple hiccups in the process. The team announced that one of their three 2013 first-rounders Morgan Klimchuk (pictured) will miss training camp with an injury while Ryan Howse was suspended for skipping camp altogether.
Klimchuk, the 28th pick, hurt himself while playing a preseason game for the WHL’s Regina Pats; the Flames predict that he’ll miss between two and four weeks. If the 18-year-old had any slim chance of making the big club, that probably faded with this tough break.
Howse’s transgression might have a larger impact on his development.
The 22-year-old forward lost favor with the team in 2011 because of fitness issues, as the Calgary Sun reported, so this latest development cannot be a great sign for his future. The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle wonders if Howse’s situation might echo that of Stefan Legein, who briefly “quit hockey” in 2007.
These tough breaks won’t railroad the Flames’ rebuild by themselves, yet this isn’t ideal news, either.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 0
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 12
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)