Sep 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
The Calgary Flames acknowledged being in rebuild mode, but Wednesday presented a couple hiccups in the process. The team announced that one of their three 2013 first-rounders Morgan Klimchuk (pictured) will miss training camp with an injury while Ryan Howse was suspended for skipping camp altogether.
Klimchuk, the 28th pick, hurt himself while playing a preseason game for the WHL’s Regina Pats; the Flames predict that he’ll miss between two and four weeks. If the 18-year-old had any slim chance of making the big club, that probably faded with this tough break.
Howse’s transgression might have a larger impact on his development.
The 22-year-old forward lost favor with the team in 2011 because of fitness issues, as the Calgary Sun reported, so this latest development cannot be a great sign for his future. The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle wonders if Howse’s situation might echo that of Stefan Legein, who briefly “quit hockey” in 2007.
These tough breaks won’t railroad the Flames’ rebuild by themselves, yet this isn’t ideal news, either.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)