Sep 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames acknowledged being in rebuild mode, but Wednesday presented a couple hiccups in the process. The team announced that one of their three 2013 first-rounders Morgan Klimchuk (pictured) will miss training camp with an injury while Ryan Howse was suspended for skipping camp altogether.
Klimchuk, the 28th pick, hurt himself while playing a preseason game for the WHL’s Regina Pats; the Flames predict that he’ll miss between two and four weeks. If the 18-year-old had any slim chance of making the big club, that probably faded with this tough break.
Howse’s transgression might have a larger impact on his development.
The 22-year-old forward lost favor with the team in 2011 because of fitness issues, as the Calgary Sun reported, so this latest development cannot be a great sign for his future. The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle wonders if Howse’s situation might echo that of Stefan Legein, who briefly “quit hockey” in 2007.
These tough breaks won’t railroad the Flames’ rebuild by themselves, yet this isn’t ideal news, either.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)