Sep 4, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames acknowledged being in rebuild mode, but Wednesday presented a couple hiccups in the process. The team announced that one of their three 2013 first-rounders Morgan Klimchuk (pictured) will miss training camp with an injury while Ryan Howse was suspended for skipping camp altogether.
Klimchuk, the 28th pick, hurt himself while playing a preseason game for the WHL’s Regina Pats; the Flames predict that he’ll miss between two and four weeks. If the 18-year-old had any slim chance of making the big club, that probably faded with this tough break.
Howse’s transgression might have a larger impact on his development.
The 22-year-old forward lost favor with the team in 2011 because of fitness issues, as the Calgary Sun reported, so this latest development cannot be a great sign for his future. The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle wonders if Howse’s situation might echo that of Stefan Legein, who briefly “quit hockey” in 2007.
These tough breaks won’t railroad the Flames’ rebuild by themselves, yet this isn’t ideal news, either.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)