Devils GM says team’s budgetary concerns are over

Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils Name New Head Coach Getty Images

It’s been a summer full of turmoil for the New Jersey Devils, but with their ownership situation straightened out, GM Lou Lamoriello happily told the Newark Star-Ledger that the days of rolling with a limited budgets are over.

“I’m excited about the aggressiveness as fas as, ‘What is it we can do to help and support what you are doing?’ ” Lamoriello said about new owners Joshua Harris and David Blitzer. “They want to support and encourage and not discourage because it might be something that costs. They are very progressive. There is no cutting back.”

Lamoriello described the last few years as rough, explaining that “there has been a wall up” on spending.

While the Devils might not be a popular Stanley Cup choice in upcoming previews, the remade squad has a chance to surprise. Lamoriello backs that notion up.

” … I like the parts we have,” Lamoriello said.

And it sounds like he has the resources to augment those parts during the 2013-14 season, too.

1. 950003cups - Sep 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I saw Lou Lamoriello leaving the Short Hills Mall. He was with a few guys and they looked like they were in a serious discussion. So I didn’t wanna go over and interrupt them. He looked VERY tan and upbeat. So I took out my camera phone, waived and yelled “Let’s Go Devils!!” He waived back and said something back but I couldn’t hear him clearly.

Here’s my video

2. blomfeld - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Willard …

3. martysbetter - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I’m very excited about the future of the Devils, people are already counting them out – but this team more closely resembles a typical “Devils Hockey” team, built from the goal out, a solid defensive core with heaps of young talent near NHL ready and 4 lines of interchangeable parts..oh and SIZE, this is the biggest forward corps on the Devils in recent memory.

I’m excited, (once again) the Devils are going to prove a lot of doubters wrong.

• 950003cups - Sep 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My man. We replaced, at best, 60 of the 115 goals we lost. All I’m saying is don’t be too optimistic until 2 years from now. As for October, the mantra is:

• hockey7515 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Last year, the Devils were also 28th in save percentage. If they go from .890 to .915 that’s a pretty substantial improvement, and maybe even conservative considering Schneider’s numbers. On offense it looks bad, but, Jagr had 16 goals and 35 points this season, more than Kovalchuk and Clarkson. Kovalchuk shot an astounding 8.9%. I’m sure he’d have bounced back and done much better if he’d stayed, but Jagr could easily outproduce what the 2013 Kovalchuk did. They picked up Michael Ryder who also outscored Kovalchuk and Clarkson last season. Ryan Clowe was only slightly behind Clarkson in points per game (19/40 vs. 24/48) and outscored him at even strength. The Devils could get more goals this season out of inferior personnel. Certainly the guys they lost didn’t produce in 2013. They are not a real contender, but you can’t count this team out yet.

4. mpg44 - Sep 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I soul much rather have three 20 goal scorers then one pontential 40 goal scorer . That was the whole issue last year. Only offensive weapon was kovy , that made the defensive plan for the opposition real easy. This was the only reason a guy like Clarkson scored as often as he did . When we had Parise , there were two people the opposition had to contend with.

User I. The new era and you will see a team effort in stead of get the puck to kovy . The goaltending tandem is stellar , the d is there with you g guys that are hungry to get to the show . This will push the vets to work a little harder. The o will be there. , we won’t be scoring ten goals a night , but it only takes one more then the other team to win.

I think we will see a total team “defense first ” mentality then counter attack with some serious forechecking with all that size up front. This year. I see this year as not being a matter of how much we score but how little we allow!

• 950003cups - Sep 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

call me crazy, but the Kovy days were very high tempo forechecking games. If we go back to the old defensive and win games 2-1 all season, its gonna be boring. We need to keep that high octane offense in order to remain an exciting product. Without Kovy, and Parise its basically impossible.

• mpg44 - Sep 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

No offense but why ? That high tempo style had us miss the playoffs twice . That boring defensive style Won Three cups and and made the playoffs thirteen times consecutively. A win is a win ! Wether it’s by one goal or four ! Offense may win Games but never forget that defense wins championships !!

• martysbetter - Sep 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I don’t expect the system to change at all – Deboer’s game plan has proven to be effective when everyone plays their roles, and this is a team of role players.

I don’t think two players make or break a system like that..

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D