Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
It’s been a summer full of turmoil for the New Jersey Devils, but with their ownership situation straightened out, GM Lou Lamoriello happily told the Newark Star-Ledger that the days of rolling with a limited budgets are over.
“I’m excited about the aggressiveness as fas as, ‘What is it we can do to help and support what you are doing?’ ” Lamoriello said about new owners Joshua Harris and David Blitzer. “They want to support and encourage and not discourage because it might be something that costs. They are very progressive. There is no cutting back.”
Lamoriello described the last few years as rough, explaining that “there has been a wall up” on spending.
While the Devils might not be a popular Stanley Cup choice in upcoming previews, the remade squad has a chance to surprise. Lamoriello backs that notion up.
” … I like the parts we have,” Lamoriello said.
And it sounds like he has the resources to augment those parts during the 2013-14 season, too.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)