Sep 4, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk’s exodus from New Jersey might give some credibility to the claims that the KHL might bid for Alex Ovechkin‘s services, but the Washington Capitals seem confident that he isn’t going anywhere.
Both head coach Adam Oates and general manager George McPhee told the Washington Post that NHL competition drives the 27-year-old star the most.
” … From day one this kid’s always wanted to play over here, and I don’t imagine he’s going to want to go back any time soon,” McPhee said.
“He wants to win a Cup.”
Oates dismissed the claims as “propaganda” on Wednesday.
“Someone in Dynamo said ‘We’re going to try and talk to him’. That’s got nothing to do with us or Ovi, that’s from one guy over there,” Oates said. “It’s an Olympic year there, it’s in Russia and maybe they’re trying to gain some notoriety with their league, some attention. I’m sure it will be addressed.”
Then again, if Kovalchuk passing up his big deal in the U.S. is any indication, it would be foolish to say “never.”
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)