Sep 4, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk’s exodus from New Jersey might give some credibility to the claims that the KHL might bid for Alex Ovechkin‘s services, but the Washington Capitals seem confident that he isn’t going anywhere.
Both head coach Adam Oates and general manager George McPhee told the Washington Post that NHL competition drives the 27-year-old star the most.
” … From day one this kid’s always wanted to play over here, and I don’t imagine he’s going to want to go back any time soon,” McPhee said.
“He wants to win a Cup.”
Oates dismissed the claims as “propaganda” on Wednesday.
“Someone in Dynamo said ‘We’re going to try and talk to him’. That’s got nothing to do with us or Ovi, that’s from one guy over there,” Oates said. “It’s an Olympic year there, it’s in Russia and maybe they’re trying to gain some notoriety with their league, some attention. I’m sure it will be addressed.”
Then again, if Kovalchuk passing up his big deal in the U.S. is any indication, it would be foolish to say “never.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)