Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
David Booth took a cautious approach to rehabbing his broken ankle this summer — really cautious.
Booth, the Canucks winger that missed 21 regular season and four playoff games last year with the injury, spent much of rehab off his feet and focusing on his upper body, which resulted in a fairly significant weight gain.
Like, 32 pounds significant.
Booth tipped the scales at 237 pounds this summer, according to 24 Hours Vancouver, but has since returned to a more normal playing weight of 205 pounds.
The 28-year-old lamented how long it took to recover from his ankle injury, noting he only recently resumed skating.
“Even mid-late August, I was still frustrated with how long this injury takes,” he explained. “I was sticking to upper body to stay in shape and it was tough.”
Booth still hasn’t been medically cleared for a return to action, and said he’s unsure as to when he’ll be ready to go.
“[The ankle's] finally feeling good but it is a long time to get to where you need to be,” he said. “It is the most frustrated I’ve been, even more so than my concussion.
“You want to be able to do something but you can’t.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)