Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
David Booth took a cautious approach to rehabbing his broken ankle this summer — really cautious.
Booth, the Canucks winger that missed 21 regular season and four playoff games last year with the injury, spent much of rehab off his feet and focusing on his upper body, which resulted in a fairly significant weight gain.
Like, 32 pounds significant.
Booth tipped the scales at 237 pounds this summer, according to 24 Hours Vancouver, but has since returned to a more normal playing weight of 205 pounds.
The 28-year-old lamented how long it took to recover from his ankle injury, noting he only recently resumed skating.
“Even mid-late August, I was still frustrated with how long this injury takes,” he explained. “I was sticking to upper body to stay in shape and it was tough.”
Booth still hasn’t been medically cleared for a return to action, and said he’s unsure as to when he’ll be ready to go.
“[The ankle's] finally feeling good but it is a long time to get to where you need to be,” he said. “It is the most frustrated I’ve been, even more so than my concussion.
“You want to be able to do something but you can’t.”
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 65
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (65)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)