Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
David Booth took a cautious approach to rehabbing his broken ankle this summer — really cautious.
Booth, the Canucks winger that missed 21 regular season and four playoff games last year with the injury, spent much of rehab off his feet and focusing on his upper body, which resulted in a fairly significant weight gain.
Like, 32 pounds significant.
Booth tipped the scales at 237 pounds this summer, according to 24 Hours Vancouver, but has since returned to a more normal playing weight of 205 pounds.
The 28-year-old lamented how long it took to recover from his ankle injury, noting he only recently resumed skating.
“Even mid-late August, I was still frustrated with how long this injury takes,” he explained. “I was sticking to upper body to stay in shape and it was tough.”
Booth still hasn’t been medically cleared for a return to action, and said he’s unsure as to when he’ll be ready to go.
“[The ankle’s] finally feeling good but it is a long time to get to where you need to be,” he said. “It is the most frustrated I’ve been, even more so than my concussion.
“You want to be able to do something but you can’t.”
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)