Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EST
David Booth took a cautious approach to rehabbing his broken ankle this summer — really cautious.
Booth, the Canucks winger that missed 21 regular season and four playoff games last year with the injury, spent much of rehab off his feet and focusing on his upper body, which resulted in a fairly significant weight gain.
Like, 32 pounds significant.
Booth tipped the scales at 237 pounds this summer, according to 24 Hours Vancouver, but has since returned to a more normal playing weight of 205 pounds.
The 28-year-old lamented how long it took to recover from his ankle injury, noting he only recently resumed skating.
“Even mid-late August, I was still frustrated with how long this injury takes,” he explained. “I was sticking to upper body to stay in shape and it was tough.”
Booth still hasn’t been medically cleared for a return to action, and said he’s unsure as to when he’ll be ready to go.
“[The ankle’s] finally feeling good but it is a long time to get to where you need to be,” he said. “It is the most frustrated I’ve been, even more so than my concussion.
“You want to be able to do something but you can’t.”
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)