Sep 4, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT
David Booth took a cautious approach to rehabbing his broken ankle this summer — really cautious.
Booth, the Canucks winger that missed 21 regular season and four playoff games last year with the injury, spent much of rehab off his feet and focusing on his upper body, which resulted in a fairly significant weight gain.
Like, 32 pounds significant.
Booth tipped the scales at 237 pounds this summer, according to 24 Hours Vancouver, but has since returned to a more normal playing weight of 205 pounds.
The 28-year-old lamented how long it took to recover from his ankle injury, noting he only recently resumed skating.
“Even mid-late August, I was still frustrated with how long this injury takes,” he explained. “I was sticking to upper body to stay in shape and it was tough.”
Booth still hasn’t been medically cleared for a return to action, and said he’s unsure as to when he’ll be ready to go.
“[The ankle’s] finally feeling good but it is a long time to get to where you need to be,” he said. “It is the most frustrated I’ve been, even more so than my concussion.
“You want to be able to do something but you can’t.”
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)