Sep 3, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
That’s the word out of Long Island on Tuesday — Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports the Isles are set to name Tavares as the 14th captain in franchise history at some point next week.
Tavares, 22, led the Isles with 47 points in 48 games last season and earned his first-ever Hart Trophy nomination for league MVP.
He’s the club’s most talented player and the face of the franchise, so no real surprise the organization feels he’s ready to wear the “C.” Tavares also signed a long-term pact with the Isles in 2011, agreeing to a six-year, $33 million extension that goes through 2018.
The move to such a young captain is a significant one from New York. Streit was 34 at the time of his appointment; prior to him it was 38-year-old Doug Weight and prior to Weight, it was 37-year-old Bill Guerin.
Tavares had previously served as an alternate captain behind Streit — now in Philadelphia — along with fellow forward Kyle Okposo.
No. 91’s promotion to the full captaincy means New York will need to find another person to wear an “A,” and candidates could include veteran defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky or the club’s longest-tenured player, forward Frans Nielsen.
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 0
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 3
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)