Sep 3, 2013, 3:29 PM EST
Stepan, who led New York in scoring last year, is believed to be seeking a deal similar to the one teammate Ryan McDonagh signed in July — a six-year, $28.2 million contract with a $4.7 million annual cap hit.
The Rangers, meanwhile, are reportedly sticking to their offer of a “bridge” deal, similar to the one Michael Del Zotto (two years, $5.1 million) received after his entry-level contract expired.
Stepan, 23, made $875,000 annually on his ELC, which expired in July. He’s on record saying he expects a deal to be done by camp, but Rangers GM Glen Sather sounded adamant about not giving term to someone with only three seasons under his belt.
“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Sather told Edmonton’s Team 1260 earlier this summer. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)