Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 PM EST
Mayor’s Manor’s John Hoven reports (and the team confirms) that the Kings invited Mathieu Garon to training camp on a paid try-out.
Garon, 35, has plenty of experience tending net in Los Angeles. He played 95 regular season games for the Kings between 2005-06 and 2006-07. He didn’t put up outstanding stats, but he did manage 31 wins in 2005-06.
The veteran goalie bounced around the league since then, making his last stop in Tampa Bay, playing two seasons for the Lightning. The 2013 campaign didn’t go particularly well, as he went 5-9-2 with a .897 save percentage and 2.90 GAA in 18 games.
For the sake of comparison, Scrivens, 26, has had a better go of things lately. While his 7-9 record from 2013 isn’t anything special, he generated a nice .915 save percentage, 2.69 GAA and two shutouts in 20 games for the Maple Leafs.
Overall, the Kings are wise to give themselves options behind much-touted starter Jonathan Quick, as Scrivens gives them a younger look and Garon brings a veteran presence.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)