Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Mayor’s Manor’s John Hoven reports (and the team confirms) that the Kings invited Mathieu Garon to training camp on a paid try-out.
Garon, 35, has plenty of experience tending net in Los Angeles. He played 95 regular season games for the Kings between 2005-06 and 2006-07. He didn’t put up outstanding stats, but he did manage 31 wins in 2005-06.
The veteran goalie bounced around the league since then, making his last stop in Tampa Bay, playing two seasons for the Lightning. The 2013 campaign didn’t go particularly well, as he went 5-9-2 with a .897 save percentage and 2.90 GAA in 18 games.
For the sake of comparison, Scrivens, 26, has had a better go of things lately. While his 7-9 record from 2013 isn’t anything special, he generated a nice .915 save percentage, 2.69 GAA and two shutouts in 20 games for the Maple Leafs.
Overall, the Kings are wise to give themselves options behind much-touted starter Jonathan Quick, as Scrivens gives them a younger look and Garon brings a veteran presence.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)