Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Mayor’s Manor’s John Hoven reports (and the team confirms) that the Kings invited Mathieu Garon to training camp on a paid try-out.
Garon, 35, has plenty of experience tending net in Los Angeles. He played 95 regular season games for the Kings between 2005-06 and 2006-07. He didn’t put up outstanding stats, but he did manage 31 wins in 2005-06.
The veteran goalie bounced around the league since then, making his last stop in Tampa Bay, playing two seasons for the Lightning. The 2013 campaign didn’t go particularly well, as he went 5-9-2 with a .897 save percentage and 2.90 GAA in 18 games.
For the sake of comparison, Scrivens, 26, has had a better go of things lately. While his 7-9 record from 2013 isn’t anything special, he generated a nice .915 save percentage, 2.69 GAA and two shutouts in 20 games for the Maple Leafs.
Overall, the Kings are wise to give themselves options behind much-touted starter Jonathan Quick, as Scrivens gives them a younger look and Garon brings a veteran presence.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)