Sep 3, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
Mayor’s Manor’s John Hoven reports (and the team confirms) that the Kings invited Mathieu Garon to training camp on a paid try-out.
Garon, 35, has plenty of experience tending net in Los Angeles. He played 95 regular season games for the Kings between 2005-06 and 2006-07. He didn’t put up outstanding stats, but he did manage 31 wins in 2005-06.
The veteran goalie bounced around the league since then, making his last stop in Tampa Bay, playing two seasons for the Lightning. The 2013 campaign didn’t go particularly well, as he went 5-9-2 with a .897 save percentage and 2.90 GAA in 18 games.
For the sake of comparison, Scrivens, 26, has had a better go of things lately. While his 7-9 record from 2013 isn’t anything special, he generated a nice .915 save percentage, 2.69 GAA and two shutouts in 20 games for the Maple Leafs.
Overall, the Kings are wise to give themselves options behind much-touted starter Jonathan Quick, as Scrivens gives them a younger look and Garon brings a veteran presence.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)