Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Already a Stanley Cup winner from his days with the Pittsburgh Penguins, new Dallas defenseman Sergei Gonchar is hoping to add Olympic gold to his list of career accomplishments when the 2014 Games are played this February in Sochi, Russia.
For 39-year-old Gonchar, who’s expected to suit up for the hosts, having the Olympics in Russia is an opportunity to realize a boyhood dream.
“When I was growing up, there was no NHL for us, so we didn’t dream about playing in the NHL, we dreamed about playing in the Olympic games,” Gonchar told The Dallas Morning News recently. “So now to have those games in Russia and be able to compete, it’s very special. It’s huge for me, and for the whole country. They have put a lot of effort in, and they want it to be high class.”
Gonchar has won two Olympic medals playing for Russia — silver in 1998 and bronze in 2002.
If he does make the team, he’ll be part of a defense corps that many see as the country’s biggest weakness. The other 11 blue-liners who were invited to August’s orientation camp in Sochi were Evgeny Biryukov, Slava Voynov, Anton Volchenkov, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, and Fedor Tyutin.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)