Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Already a Stanley Cup winner from his days with the Pittsburgh Penguins, new Dallas defenseman Sergei Gonchar is hoping to add Olympic gold to his list of career accomplishments when the 2014 Games are played this February in Sochi, Russia.
For 39-year-old Gonchar, who’s expected to suit up for the hosts, having the Olympics in Russia is an opportunity to realize a boyhood dream.
“When I was growing up, there was no NHL for us, so we didn’t dream about playing in the NHL, we dreamed about playing in the Olympic games,” Gonchar told The Dallas Morning News recently. “So now to have those games in Russia and be able to compete, it’s very special. It’s huge for me, and for the whole country. They have put a lot of effort in, and they want it to be high class.”
Gonchar has won two Olympic medals playing for Russia — silver in 1998 and bronze in 2002.
If he does make the team, he’ll be part of a defense corps that many see as the country’s biggest weakness. The other 11 blue-liners who were invited to August’s orientation camp in Sochi were Evgeny Biryukov, Slava Voynov, Anton Volchenkov, Denis Denisov, Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov, Evgeny Medvedev, Nikita Nikitin, Ilya Nikulin, Eugene Ryasensky, and Fedor Tyutin.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)