Sep 3, 2013, 5:03 PM EST
Oilers center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says his shoulder is “feeling good” after undergoing surgery on April 23; however, he’ll probably be wearing a yellow no-contact jersey to start training camp.
“It feels good right now but I know it’s got to heal,” Nugent-Hopkins said, per the club’s website. “I’ll let it do its thing and I’ve got to get my strength back. So there’s going to be lots of discussions with the doctor and the medical staff over the next few weeks. Just got to make sure it’s 100 percent before I go out there.”
The 20-year-old former first overall pick also said he’s “put on a few pounds” and is currently tipping the scales at between 180 and 185 pounds.
In addition, he’s been working on his shot this offseason, with good results.
“My shot feels great,” he said. “It feels probably a little bit better than last year even.”
For now, though, he can’t say if he’ll be ready for Edmonton’s season-opener versus Winnipeg on Oct. 1.
“I don’t know,” he said. “I guess time will tell but we’ll see how the next month goes and talk with doctors and go from there.
“Everybody’s going to be a little bit cautious. It’s important to make sure that it’s going to be good for the rest of my career and make sure that it’s at 100 percent at the start of the fall.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 0
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)