Sep 3, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Another day, another development in the Nazem Kadri contract dispute.
On Tuesday, Leafs VP of hockey operations Dave Poulin said the club’s latest offer to Kadri is “fair” and has nothing to do with the fact Toronto’s roughly $5 million away from the salary cap ceiling.
Kadri, who recently denied rumors he was asking for $30 million over six years, finished second on the team in scoring last year with 44 points in 48 games.
We say briefly, because Kadri was back discussing it again on Tuesday.
Nazem Kadri says he’s waiting on the #leafs to make the next move in contract talks.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) September 3, 2013
Kadri feels he has been unfairly portrayed by some regarding his situation. #Leafs
— Rob Longley (@longleysunsport) September 3, 2013
Toronto opens up camp in eight days and, according to Poulin, Kadri or Franson won’t participate without new deals in place.
What’s more, it doesn’t sound as though Toronto will let it affect negotiations.
“We believe it’s a fair offer. It’s representative of the body of work that he has done in his time here,” Poulin explained. “We’re in a good situation with that moving forward.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)