Sep 3, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Another day, another development in the Nazem Kadri contract dispute.
On Tuesday, Leafs VP of hockey operations Dave Poulin said the club’s latest offer to Kadri is “fair” and has nothing to do with the fact Toronto’s roughly $5 million away from the salary cap ceiling.
Kadri, who recently denied rumors he was asking for $30 million over six years, finished second on the team in scoring last year with 44 points in 48 games.
We say briefly, because Kadri was back discussing it again on Tuesday.
Nazem Kadri says he’s waiting on the #leafs to make the next move in contract talks.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) September 3, 2013
Kadri feels he has been unfairly portrayed by some regarding his situation. #Leafs
— Rob Longley (@longleysunsport) September 3, 2013
Toronto opens up camp in eight days and, according to Poulin, Kadri or Franson won’t participate without new deals in place.
What’s more, it doesn’t sound as though Toronto will let it affect negotiations.
“We believe it’s a fair offer. It’s representative of the body of work that he has done in his time here,” Poulin explained. “We’re in a good situation with that moving forward.”
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 32
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 39
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)