Sep 3, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Another day, another development in the Nazem Kadri contract dispute.
On Tuesday, Leafs VP of hockey operations Dave Poulin said the club’s latest offer to Kadri is “fair” and has nothing to do with the fact Toronto’s roughly $5 million away from the salary cap ceiling.
Kadri, who recently denied rumors he was asking for $30 million over six years, finished second on the team in scoring last year with 44 points in 48 games.
We say briefly, because Kadri was back discussing it again on Tuesday.
Nazem Kadri says he’s waiting on the #leafs to make the next move in contract talks.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) September 3, 2013
Kadri feels he has been unfairly portrayed by some regarding his situation. #Leafs
— Rob Longley (@longleysunsport) September 3, 2013
Toronto opens up camp in eight days and, according to Poulin, Kadri or Franson won’t participate without new deals in place.
What’s more, it doesn’t sound as though Toronto will let it affect negotiations.
“We believe it’s a fair offer. It’s representative of the body of work that he has done in his time here,” Poulin explained. “We’re in a good situation with that moving forward.”
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)