Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Guillaume Latendresse is on his way to the desert.
Latendresse, an unsigned UFA who spent last season with Ottawa, has been invited to Phoenix’s training camp, according to Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving.
The 26-year-old forward is one of what should be several veterans signing professional try-outs deals in the near future. A number are still without contracts, and will be forced to play their way onto rosters for the 2013-14 campaign.
Latendresse will try to do exactly that in Phoenix, and it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, he scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
Latendresse isn’t the only NHL veteran going to ‘Yotes camp this fall.
Former sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule will also be in attendance after spending last season with Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)