Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Guillaume Latendresse is on his way to the desert.
Latendresse, an unsigned UFA who spent last season with Ottawa, has been invited to Phoenix’s training camp, according to Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving.
The 26-year-old forward is one of what should be several veterans signing professional try-outs deals in the near future. A number are still without contracts, and will be forced to play their way onto rosters for the 2013-14 campaign.
Latendresse will try to do exactly that in Phoenix, and it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, he scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
Latendresse isn’t the only NHL veteran going to ‘Yotes camp this fall.
Former sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule will also be in attendance after spending last season with Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)