Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Guillaume Latendresse is on his way to the desert.
Latendresse, an unsigned UFA who spent last season with Ottawa, has been invited to Phoenix’s training camp, according to Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving.
The 26-year-old forward is one of what should be several veterans signing professional try-outs deals in the near future. A number are still without contracts, and will be forced to play their way onto rosters for the 2013-14 campaign.
Latendresse will try to do exactly that in Phoenix, and it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, he scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
Latendresse isn’t the only NHL veteran going to ‘Yotes camp this fall.
Former sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule will also be in attendance after spending last season with Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)