Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Guillaume Latendresse is on his way to the desert.
Latendresse, an unsigned UFA who spent last season with Ottawa, has been invited to Phoenix’s training camp, according to Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving.
The 26-year-old forward is one of what should be several veterans signing professional try-outs deals in the near future. A number are still without contracts, and will be forced to play their way onto rosters for the 2013-14 campaign.
Latendresse will try to do exactly that in Phoenix, and it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, he scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
Latendresse isn’t the only NHL veteran going to ‘Yotes camp this fall.
Former sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule will also be in attendance after spending last season with Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)