Sep 3, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
Guillaume Latendresse is on his way to the desert.
Latendresse, an unsigned UFA who spent last season with Ottawa, has been invited to Phoenix’s training camp, according to Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving.
The 26-year-old forward is one of what should be several veterans signing professional try-outs deals in the near future. A number are still without contracts, and will be forced to play their way onto rosters for the 2013-14 campaign.
Latendresse will try to do exactly that in Phoenix, and it’ll be interesting to see if he sticks.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, he scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
Latendresse isn’t the only NHL veteran going to ‘Yotes camp this fall.
Former sixth overall pick Gilbert Brule will also be in attendance after spending last season with Zurich of Switzerland’s National League A.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)