Sep 3, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
Many believed Hutton, 27, would be the man, although the Predators admitted that they considered looking for a more experienced No. 2 back in June.
The other significant netminder in the Preds’ pipeline is Magnus Hellberg, but Trotz told Morreale he’s merely “getting there.”
One could argue that the Predators are taking risk with their backup situation.
Rinne, 30, is dealing with a hip injury that might or might not heal up by training camp. Even if he does get to 100 percent by the beginning of the season, he’s already carrying a lot of pressure with that $7 million salary cap hit.
Despite being 27, Hutton is pretty wet behind the ears, too. He has exactly one game of NHL experience – when Chicago sent out close to an AHL squad against the St. Louis Blues to finish the 2013 regular season – so it’s not like the Preds are well-stocked if Rinne struggles or suffers more hip problems.
Then again, the Predators are one of the few NHL teams that can really prop up a replacement-level netminder, so maybe it’s not that much of a concern.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)