Sep 3, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
PK Subban isn’t eligible for restricted free agency until next summer, but Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin would like to get his young Norris Trophy-winning defenseman signed to a contract extension well before then.
“I would like to get something done,” Bergevin told reporters today at the club’s season-opening golf tournament, per TSN. “It takes two to tango.”
Whether Subban is ready to do the negotiation dance with the Habs isn’t clear; he reportedly didn’t want to talk about his contract today. The 24-year-old is halfway through a two-year, $5.75 million “bridge” contract with Montreal — one that wasn’t agreed upon until late January, when the 2013 season had already begun.
In terms of cap hit, the highest paid d-man in the NHL is Nashville’s Shea Weber ($7.86 million), just ahead of Minnesota’s Ryan Suter ($7.54 million). With the salary cap expected to rise in the coming years, Subban’s salary expectations should certainly be in the neighborhood of the league leaders.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 59
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)