Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
His first goal is to stick with the Sabres next season after bouncing between the big club and the AHL last season while trying to prove himself to former coach Lindy Ruff and new bench boss Ron Rolston. Grigorenko also clearly knows what kind of role he’d like to avoid.
“Just to make the NHL and to hopefully have my spot on the power play, probably be the first- or second-line center, is my goal,” Grigorenko said. “To have 50 points would be great for me. If it’s 30, I’m not going to be sad. I don’t see myself as an AHL third-liner.”
GM Darcy Regier has stated that the 19-year-old will be a full-time NHL player, so Grigorenko has a good chance of shooting for those goals, whether he comes in closer to 30 or 50 points.
That will certainly require better production than 2013, when he managed just five points in 25 games.
Playing at such a young age – and having some rotten puck luck with just a 3.2 percent shooting efficiency – gives plenty of reason to believe that his sophomore season might be better than that shaky rookie campaign.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 26
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 97
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)