Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 PM EST
His first goal is to stick with the Sabres next season after bouncing between the big club and the AHL last season while trying to prove himself to former coach Lindy Ruff and new bench boss Ron Rolston. Grigorenko also clearly knows what kind of role he’d like to avoid.
“Just to make the NHL and to hopefully have my spot on the power play, probably be the first- or second-line center, is my goal,” Grigorenko said. “To have 50 points would be great for me. If it’s 30, I’m not going to be sad. I don’t see myself as an AHL third-liner.”
GM Darcy Regier has stated that the 19-year-old will be a full-time NHL player, so Grigorenko has a good chance of shooting for those goals, whether he comes in closer to 30 or 50 points.
That will certainly require better production than 2013, when he managed just five points in 25 games.
Playing at such a young age – and having some rotten puck luck with just a 3.2 percent shooting efficiency – gives plenty of reason to believe that his sophomore season might be better than that shaky rookie campaign.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (123)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (104)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (100)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)