Sep 3, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
For 27 games, Philadelphia Flyers fans were able to watch Simon Gagne back in the team’s uniform once more.
One would think that the 33-year-old winger would be lost in the numbers game for the cap-challenged team, but that might not be true. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday that the team is “kicking around” the idea of inviting Gagne to training camp for a paid try-out.
“But I’m sure he’s getting calls from other teams, too,” Holmgren said. “I have no gut feeling as to what Gagne will do.”
While familiarity could help the Flyers’ cause, the team is currently about $2 million above the salary cap ceiling, so they couldn’t re-sign Gagne upon watching him try out even if they wanted to.
If Gagne gets antsy or simply gets an offer from another team, then this could all fall through. Of course, the Flyers could also pass on a talented but injury-marred forward.
Still, Flyers fans might delight at the idea of some more time with a fan favorite.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)