Sep 3, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
For 27 games, Philadelphia Flyers fans were able to watch Simon Gagne back in the team’s uniform once more.
One would think that the 33-year-old winger would be lost in the numbers game for the cap-challenged team, but that might not be true. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday that the team is “kicking around” the idea of inviting Gagne to training camp for a paid try-out.
“But I’m sure he’s getting calls from other teams, too,” Holmgren said. “I have no gut feeling as to what Gagne will do.”
While familiarity could help the Flyers’ cause, the team is currently about $2 million above the salary cap ceiling, so they couldn’t re-sign Gagne upon watching him try out even if they wanted to.
If Gagne gets antsy or simply gets an offer from another team, then this could all fall through. Of course, the Flyers could also pass on a talented but injury-marred forward.
Still, Flyers fans might delight at the idea of some more time with a fan favorite.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 2
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)