Sep 3, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
For 27 games, Philadelphia Flyers fans were able to watch Simon Gagne back in the team’s uniform once more.
One would think that the 33-year-old winger would be lost in the numbers game for the cap-challenged team, but that might not be true. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday that the team is “kicking around” the idea of inviting Gagne to training camp for a paid try-out.
“But I’m sure he’s getting calls from other teams, too,” Holmgren said. “I have no gut feeling as to what Gagne will do.”
While familiarity could help the Flyers’ cause, the team is currently about $2 million above the salary cap ceiling, so they couldn’t re-sign Gagne upon watching him try out even if they wanted to.
If Gagne gets antsy or simply gets an offer from another team, then this could all fall through. Of course, the Flyers could also pass on a talented but injury-marred forward.
Still, Flyers fans might delight at the idea of some more time with a fan favorite.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)