Sep 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EST
Head coach Peter DeBoer seemed to back up the conventional wisdom to the Bergen Record on Tuesday: Brodeur’s the nominal starter, but Schneider could have an opening to pile up a lot of reps.
” … Those things sort themselves out,” DeBoer said. “Marty’s back. Marty’s our starting goaltender and we’ve got a fantastic 1A in Cory Schneider.”
The “sort themselves out” line implies that the situation is indeed fluid.
Brodeur, 41, might get the early leg up but Schneider, 27, could steal plenty of starts if he plays really well.
There’s an argument that can be made for both goalies receiving the majority of playing time, but that’s ultimately for the Devils – especially DeBoer – to decide. Maybe the situation will be friendly enough that Roberto Luongo won’t need to pity his former mate so much, either.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)