Sep 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EST
Head coach Peter DeBoer seemed to back up the conventional wisdom to the Bergen Record on Tuesday: Brodeur’s the nominal starter, but Schneider could have an opening to pile up a lot of reps.
” … Those things sort themselves out,” DeBoer said. “Marty’s back. Marty’s our starting goaltender and we’ve got a fantastic 1A in Cory Schneider.”
The “sort themselves out” line implies that the situation is indeed fluid.
Brodeur, 41, might get the early leg up but Schneider, 27, could steal plenty of starts if he plays really well.
There’s an argument that can be made for both goalies receiving the majority of playing time, but that’s ultimately for the Devils – especially DeBoer – to decide. Maybe the situation will be friendly enough that Roberto Luongo won’t need to pity his former mate so much, either.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 33
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 113
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (113)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)