Sep 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
Head coach Peter DeBoer seemed to back up the conventional wisdom to the Bergen Record on Tuesday: Brodeur’s the nominal starter, but Schneider could have an opening to pile up a lot of reps.
” … Those things sort themselves out,” DeBoer said. “Marty’s back. Marty’s our starting goaltender and we’ve got a fantastic 1A in Cory Schneider.”
The “sort themselves out” line implies that the situation is indeed fluid.
Brodeur, 41, might get the early leg up but Schneider, 27, could steal plenty of starts if he plays really well.
There’s an argument that can be made for both goalies receiving the majority of playing time, but that’s ultimately for the Devils – especially DeBoer – to decide. Maybe the situation will be friendly enough that Roberto Luongo won’t need to pity his former mate so much, either.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)