Sep 3, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
Head coach Peter DeBoer seemed to back up the conventional wisdom to the Bergen Record on Tuesday: Brodeur’s the nominal starter, but Schneider could have an opening to pile up a lot of reps.
” … Those things sort themselves out,” DeBoer said. “Marty’s back. Marty’s our starting goaltender and we’ve got a fantastic 1A in Cory Schneider.”
The “sort themselves out” line implies that the situation is indeed fluid.
Brodeur, 41, might get the early leg up but Schneider, 27, could steal plenty of starts if he plays really well.
There’s an argument that can be made for both goalies receiving the majority of playing time, but that’s ultimately for the Devils – especially DeBoer – to decide. Maybe the situation will be friendly enough that Roberto Luongo won’t need to pity his former mate so much, either.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22