Sep 3, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For years, the Carolina Hurricanes have leaned heavily on defenseman Joni Pitkanen, but they might not be able to do so in 2013-14.
In fact, things are dire enough that Rutherford is even discussing making a move to replace the Finn.
“We’ll look at what our options are for a possible replacement for Joni, if he’s out a long time,” Rutherford said. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be that he’ll be out. Will it be a couple of weeks, a month, a half a year, a whole year? I don’t know … But I’m getting prepared for the worst at this point.”
Yikes, that doesn’t sound very good.
Then again, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising considering the fact that Rutherford compared it to an injury suffered from a car crash instead of during a sporting event.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)