Sep 3, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For years, the Carolina Hurricanes have leaned heavily on defenseman Joni Pitkanen, but they might not be able to do so in 2013-14.
In fact, things are dire enough that Rutherford is even discussing making a move to replace the Finn.
“We’ll look at what our options are for a possible replacement for Joni, if he’s out a long time,” Rutherford said. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be that he’ll be out. Will it be a couple of weeks, a month, a half a year, a whole year? I don’t know … But I’m getting prepared for the worst at this point.”
Yikes, that doesn’t sound very good.
Then again, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising considering the fact that Rutherford compared it to an injury suffered from a car crash instead of during a sporting event.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)