Sep 3, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For years, the Carolina Hurricanes have leaned heavily on defenseman Joni Pitkanen, but they might not be able to do so in 2013-14.
In fact, things are dire enough that Rutherford is even discussing making a move to replace the Finn.
“We’ll look at what our options are for a possible replacement for Joni, if he’s out a long time,” Rutherford said. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be that he’ll be out. Will it be a couple of weeks, a month, a half a year, a whole year? I don’t know … But I’m getting prepared for the worst at this point.”
Yikes, that doesn’t sound very good.
Then again, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising considering the fact that Rutherford compared it to an injury suffered from a car crash instead of during a sporting event.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 21
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 125
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 39
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7