Sep 3, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For years, the Carolina Hurricanes have leaned heavily on defenseman Joni Pitkanen, but they might not be able to do so in 2013-14.
In fact, things are dire enough that Rutherford is even discussing making a move to replace the Finn.
“We’ll look at what our options are for a possible replacement for Joni, if he’s out a long time,” Rutherford said. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be that he’ll be out. Will it be a couple of weeks, a month, a half a year, a whole year? I don’t know … But I’m getting prepared for the worst at this point.”
Yikes, that doesn’t sound very good.
Then again, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising considering the fact that Rutherford compared it to an injury suffered from a car crash instead of during a sporting event.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5