Sep 3, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
For years, the Carolina Hurricanes have leaned heavily on defenseman Joni Pitkanen, but they might not be able to do so in 2013-14.
In fact, things are dire enough that Rutherford is even discussing making a move to replace the Finn.
“We’ll look at what our options are for a possible replacement for Joni, if he’s out a long time,” Rutherford said. “We don’t know how long it’s going to be that he’ll be out. Will it be a couple of weeks, a month, a half a year, a whole year? I don’t know … But I’m getting prepared for the worst at this point.”
Yikes, that doesn’t sound very good.
Then again, maybe it shouldn’t be surprising considering the fact that Rutherford compared it to an injury suffered from a car crash instead of during a sporting event.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)