Sep 3, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Every once in a while it’s revealed that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman makes a healthy salary. Today, is one of those once in a whiles.
From SportsBusiness Journal:
Bettman received more than $8.3 million in salary and benefits during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. His total compensation the previous year was $7.98 million.
Bettman’s salary has more than doubled over a period that has seen the league’s total revenue increase from $2.1 billion in 2003-04 to $3.2 billion for the season of this latest tax filing. In the lockout-canceled season of 2004-05, Bettman made $3.7 million.
The commissioner, while certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, has not seen his compensation grow for nothing. As mentioned above, NHL revenues have risen dramatically the past decade, as has the average franchise value.
SBJ also reported, via the league’s latest tax filing, the salaries of some of Bettman’s underlings…
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25