Sep 3, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
Every once in a while it’s revealed that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman makes a healthy salary. Today, is one of those once in a whiles.
From SportsBusiness Journal:
Bettman received more than $8.3 million in salary and benefits during the fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. His total compensation the previous year was $7.98 million.
Bettman’s salary has more than doubled over a period that has seen the league’s total revenue increase from $2.1 billion in 2003-04 to $3.2 billion for the season of this latest tax filing. In the lockout-canceled season of 2004-05, Bettman made $3.7 million.
The commissioner, while certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, has not seen his compensation grow for nothing. As mentioned above, NHL revenues have risen dramatically the past decade, as has the average franchise value.
SBJ also reported, via the league’s latest tax filing, the salaries of some of Bettman’s underlings…
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5