Sep 2, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The 2012-13 campaign was a rough one for Ottawa Senators prospect Mark Stone, as he struggled with injuries such as a broken finger and high-ankle sprain and was lost in the shuffle with more established players ahead of him.
The Ottawa Citizen points out that a summer full of moves (letting Daniel Alfredsson walking, trading away players including Jakob Silfverberg) could very well open the door for Stone, 21, to make the team full-time.
(He played four games for Ottawa last season.)
Stone showed that he recognizes the opportunity – and the challenge – when discussing the Senators’ upcoming training camp with the Citizen.
“There are a lot of guys who can play in the NHL,” Stone said. “You realize that everybody is so close, from the AHL to the NHL, it’s just not that far apart, guys are knocking on the door everyday.
“ … I know I’m knocking on the door. It’s just a matter of me putting together some consistent hockey and showing I can play at this level for an 82-game season.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)