Sep 2, 2013, 8:45 PM EDT
The 2012-13 campaign was a rough one for Ottawa Senators prospect Mark Stone, as he struggled with injuries such as a broken finger and high-ankle sprain and was lost in the shuffle with more established players ahead of him.
The Ottawa Citizen points out that a summer full of moves (letting Daniel Alfredsson walking, trading away players including Jakob Silfverberg) could very well open the door for Stone, 21, to make the team full-time.
(He played four games for Ottawa last season.)
Stone showed that he recognizes the opportunity – and the challenge – when discussing the Senators’ upcoming training camp with the Citizen.
“There are a lot of guys who can play in the NHL,” Stone said. “You realize that everybody is so close, from the AHL to the NHL, it’s just not that far apart, guys are knocking on the door everyday.
“ … I know I’m knocking on the door. It’s just a matter of me putting together some consistent hockey and showing I can play at this level for an 82-game season.”
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)