Sep 2, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Matt Read is entering the final season of his three-year, $2.7 million contract and if he manages to have another solid campaign in 2013-14, then he should get a sizable raise. The bigger question is whether or not it will be with the Philadelphia Flyers.
“I would love to stay here,” Read told the Courier-Post. “Philadelphia’s obviously a great market to play hockey in. It’s a great bunch of guys here.”
Beyond that, he doesn’t want to think about his situation. He doesn’t find out about trade rumors unless his family informs him of them — which they do — and he’s happy to let his agent handle things when it comes to his contract status as he slowly inches closer to potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Instead, he’s been working hard over the summer with the attitude that he doesn’t have a guaranteed spot with the Flyers — even though it would be shocking if he didn’t make the team.
The 27-year-old forward is a solid secondary scorer for the Flyers, but whether or not he’ll work into their long-term plans remains to be seen. Philadelphia already has roughly $53.6 million in salary committed to 15 players for 2014-15, according to Cap Geek, and that doesn’t include any goaltenders.
Read is projected to start the 2013-14 campaign on the Flyers’ third line, but he should also help kill penalties and get some playing time with the man advantage.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)