Sep 2, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
Matt Read is entering the final season of his three-year, $2.7 million contract and if he manages to have another solid campaign in 2013-14, then he should get a sizable raise. The bigger question is whether or not it will be with the Philadelphia Flyers.
“I would love to stay here,” Read told the Courier-Post. “Philadelphia’s obviously a great market to play hockey in. It’s a great bunch of guys here.”
Beyond that, he doesn’t want to think about his situation. He doesn’t find out about trade rumors unless his family informs him of them — which they do — and he’s happy to let his agent handle things when it comes to his contract status as he slowly inches closer to potentially becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Instead, he’s been working hard over the summer with the attitude that he doesn’t have a guaranteed spot with the Flyers — even though it would be shocking if he didn’t make the team.
The 27-year-old forward is a solid secondary scorer for the Flyers, but whether or not he’ll work into their long-term plans remains to be seen. Philadelphia already has roughly $53.6 million in salary committed to 15 players for 2014-15, according to Cap Geek, and that doesn’t include any goaltenders.
Read is projected to start the 2013-14 campaign on the Flyers’ third line, but he should also help kill penalties and get some playing time with the man advantage.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)