Sep 2, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
Forward Jamie Benn was taken by the Dallas Stars with the 129th overall pick in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, but it only took him a couple years to become an everyday player at the NHL level and at the age of 24, he’s one of the team’s best players. That ability to defy the odds seems to runs in the family.
His elder brother, defenseman Jordie Benn, has endured an even harder route, but after going undrafted and starting his pro career with the ECHL Victoria Salmon Kings in 2008-09, he earned a three-year deal this summer after recording six points in 26 contests with Dallas in 2013.
“My dad said just never quit because you never know what can happen,” Jordie Benn, 26, told Stars Inside Edge. “A couple years ago I was really far away from the NHL. I knew that. I never stopped working and I am never going to stop working. I’ve always worked hard and I’ve worked hard for what I’ve got.”
Despite the Stars showing a meaningful level of trust in him, Benn’s uphill battle is far from over. His deal with the Stars doesn’t turn into a one-way contract until 2014-15, which means that it will cost the team less if he spends the some time in the minors this season.
Dallas has five defensemen signed to one-way contracts, so Benn will be competing with Brenden Dillon, Kevin Connauton, and Jamie Oleksiak for the other two or three spots. To make things harder for Benn, Dillon will almost certainly take one of those spots after firmly establishing himself with the Stars in 2013. Oleksiak will also be stiff competition. He’s a former first-round pick and highly regarded prospect who got his first taste of NHL action last season.
All the same, Benn’s goal isn’t just to make the team. He wants to find a way to crack the Stars’ top three pairings. That will be difficult, but his Dad told them, you never know.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)