Sep 1, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
With Daniel Alfredsson gone and training camp approaching, Ottawa Senators fans are waiting to see who their next captain will be and when will that player officially get the ‘C.’
Senators coach Paul MacLean has returned to Ottawa and recently spoke at the Bell Sensplex. That issue naturally came up, but he didn’t want to commit to having a captain selected by a certain date.
“I’ve got to spend some time talking to the individuals, talking to Bryan Murray, talking to my coaching staff,” MacLean said, courtesy of the Senators’ official website’s transcript. “We’ve done a lot of preliminary talk about it, but we’re going to let the process — it’s going to be a process but I don’t think it’s going to be a difficult one — and we just have to take the time and get through it.”
MacLean also stressed that regardless of who’s picked, he expects to see everyone provide leadership. He also didn’t specify who the main candidates are, although Jason Spezza figures to be among the favorites.
Alfredsson’s tenure as the team’s captain started in 1999 and lasted until he signed with the Detroit Red Wings over the summer. Before him, none of the Senators’ captains maintained the position for more than a few years.
Mar 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Chicago once again leads the NHL in attendance.
Mar 17, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
“If I’m on the ice today, it’s because I want to return.”
Mar 17, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 17, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Bruins’ d-man is “too sore” to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
He’ll be in the Calgary lineup Tuesday vs. Buffalo.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
That picture may give you a clue about the best.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Justin Abdelkader the latest Red Wing to get injured.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
No goals, just two points in first seven games as a Ranger.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere with a good line.
Mar 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Bob helped Columbus move into third in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
In a related story, Connor McDavid is draft-eligible next summer.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The game also happens to be fairly huge for both teams.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Minnesota is 10-1-1 all-time versus Boston. Which you may find surprising.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Dallas has made a habit of collapsing late in the season.
Mar 17, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
His return couldn’t come at a better time.
Mar 17, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Ottawa’s nine points out with 15 games to play.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s had issues all season long.
Mar 17, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Boston has won eight straight games.
Mar 17, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
Also an update on the East.
- Video: Letang practices, says his goal is to return this season 4
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 17
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 13
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 3
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 23
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 59
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (60)