Sep 1, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
With Daniel Alfredsson gone and training camp approaching, Ottawa Senators fans are waiting to see who their next captain will be and when will that player officially get the ‘C.’
Senators coach Paul MacLean has returned to Ottawa and recently spoke at the Bell Sensplex. That issue naturally came up, but he didn’t want to commit to having a captain selected by a certain date.
“I’ve got to spend some time talking to the individuals, talking to Bryan Murray, talking to my coaching staff,” MacLean said, courtesy of the Senators’ official website’s transcript. “We’ve done a lot of preliminary talk about it, but we’re going to let the process — it’s going to be a process but I don’t think it’s going to be a difficult one — and we just have to take the time and get through it.”
MacLean also stressed that regardless of who’s picked, he expects to see everyone provide leadership. He also didn’t specify who the main candidates are, although Jason Spezza figures to be among the favorites.
Alfredsson’s tenure as the team’s captain started in 1999 and lasted until he signed with the Detroit Red Wings over the summer. Before him, none of the Senators’ captains maintained the position for more than a few years.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)