Sep 1, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
With Daniel Alfredsson gone and training camp approaching, Ottawa Senators fans are waiting to see who their next captain will be and when will that player officially get the ‘C.’
Senators coach Paul MacLean has returned to Ottawa and recently spoke at the Bell Sensplex. That issue naturally came up, but he didn’t want to commit to having a captain selected by a certain date.
“I’ve got to spend some time talking to the individuals, talking to Bryan Murray, talking to my coaching staff,” MacLean said, courtesy of the Senators’ official website’s transcript. “We’ve done a lot of preliminary talk about it, but we’re going to let the process — it’s going to be a process but I don’t think it’s going to be a difficult one — and we just have to take the time and get through it.”
MacLean also stressed that regardless of who’s picked, he expects to see everyone provide leadership. He also didn’t specify who the main candidates are, although Jason Spezza figures to be among the favorites.
Alfredsson’s tenure as the team’s captain started in 1999 and lasted until he signed with the Detroit Red Wings over the summer. Before him, none of the Senators’ captains maintained the position for more than a few years.
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 4
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 21
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)