Sep 1, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
With Daniel Alfredsson gone and training camp approaching, Ottawa Senators fans are waiting to see who their next captain will be and when will that player officially get the ‘C.’
Senators coach Paul MacLean has returned to Ottawa and recently spoke at the Bell Sensplex. That issue naturally came up, but he didn’t want to commit to having a captain selected by a certain date.
“I’ve got to spend some time talking to the individuals, talking to Bryan Murray, talking to my coaching staff,” MacLean said, courtesy of the Senators’ official website’s transcript. “We’ve done a lot of preliminary talk about it, but we’re going to let the process — it’s going to be a process but I don’t think it’s going to be a difficult one — and we just have to take the time and get through it.”
MacLean also stressed that regardless of who’s picked, he expects to see everyone provide leadership. He also didn’t specify who the main candidates are, although Jason Spezza figures to be among the favorites.
Alfredsson’s tenure as the team’s captain started in 1999 and lasted until he signed with the Detroit Red Wings over the summer. Before him, none of the Senators’ captains maintained the position for more than a few years.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 29
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)