Sep 1, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
With Daniel Alfredsson gone and training camp approaching, Ottawa Senators fans are waiting to see who their next captain will be and when will that player officially get the ‘C.’
Senators coach Paul MacLean has returned to Ottawa and recently spoke at the Bell Sensplex. That issue naturally came up, but he didn’t want to commit to having a captain selected by a certain date.
“I’ve got to spend some time talking to the individuals, talking to Bryan Murray, talking to my coaching staff,” MacLean said, courtesy of the Senators’ official website’s transcript. “We’ve done a lot of preliminary talk about it, but we’re going to let the process — it’s going to be a process but I don’t think it’s going to be a difficult one — and we just have to take the time and get through it.”
MacLean also stressed that regardless of who’s picked, he expects to see everyone provide leadership. He also didn’t specify who the main candidates are, although Jason Spezza figures to be among the favorites.
Alfredsson’s tenure as the team’s captain started in 1999 and lasted until he signed with the Detroit Red Wings over the summer. Before him, none of the Senators’ captains maintained the position for more than a few years.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 15
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 54
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)