Sep 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
After enjoying years of success with the Winter Classic, the NHL will hold six outdoor games in 2013-14. The’re all noteworthy, but the one that stands out from the crowd is the Anaheim Ducks’ contest against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.
It raises questions about how the people of Southern California will respond to having an outdoor hockey game. So far the answer appears to be encouraging.
“We’ve started re-sales in conjunction with the Ducks’ season ticket holders [last week], and the league has so far shared with us that we’re selling at a record clip, faster than any of the previous Winter Classics or games, in conjunction with the presales for the season ticket members,” Kings/AEG COO Kelly Cheeseman told LA Kings Insider.
The NHL seems very optimistic about this event, which will start at 7:00 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. ET) on Jan. 25, 2014, from a broadcasting perspective as well.
“‘It just has a different feel’ is what they keep telling us. That’s very intriguing to me,” Cheeseman said. With that in mind, they’re hoping to do something new with this event, although Cheeseman didn’t want to go into specifics at this time.
Holding this many outdoor games in a single season is an experiment for the league and seeing how a non-traditional hockey market responds to such an event is a key part of that. If the Dodger Stadium’s match is a success, it could lead to more southern outdoor games.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)