Sep 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
After enjoying years of success with the Winter Classic, the NHL will hold six outdoor games in 2013-14. The’re all noteworthy, but the one that stands out from the crowd is the Anaheim Ducks’ contest against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.
It raises questions about how the people of Southern California will respond to having an outdoor hockey game. So far the answer appears to be encouraging.
“We’ve started re-sales in conjunction with the Ducks’ season ticket holders [last week], and the league has so far shared with us that we’re selling at a record clip, faster than any of the previous Winter Classics or games, in conjunction with the presales for the season ticket members,” Kings/AEG COO Kelly Cheeseman told LA Kings Insider.
The NHL seems very optimistic about this event, which will start at 7:00 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. ET) on Jan. 25, 2014, from a broadcasting perspective as well.
“‘It just has a different feel’ is what they keep telling us. That’s very intriguing to me,” Cheeseman said. With that in mind, they’re hoping to do something new with this event, although Cheeseman didn’t want to go into specifics at this time.
Holding this many outdoor games in a single season is an experiment for the league and seeing how a non-traditional hockey market responds to such an event is a key part of that. If the Dodger Stadium’s match is a success, it could lead to more southern outdoor games.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)