Sep 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
After enjoying years of success with the Winter Classic, the NHL will hold six outdoor games in 2013-14. The’re all noteworthy, but the one that stands out from the crowd is the Anaheim Ducks’ contest against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.
It raises questions about how the people of Southern California will respond to having an outdoor hockey game. So far the answer appears to be encouraging.
“We’ve started re-sales in conjunction with the Ducks’ season ticket holders [last week], and the league has so far shared with us that we’re selling at a record clip, faster than any of the previous Winter Classics or games, in conjunction with the presales for the season ticket members,” Kings/AEG COO Kelly Cheeseman told LA Kings Insider.
The NHL seems very optimistic about this event, which will start at 7:00 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. ET) on Jan. 25, 2014, from a broadcasting perspective as well.
“‘It just has a different feel’ is what they keep telling us. That’s very intriguing to me,” Cheeseman said. With that in mind, they’re hoping to do something new with this event, although Cheeseman didn’t want to go into specifics at this time.
Holding this many outdoor games in a single season is an experiment for the league and seeing how a non-traditional hockey market responds to such an event is a key part of that. If the Dodger Stadium’s match is a success, it could lead to more southern outdoor games.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)