Sep 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
After enjoying years of success with the Winter Classic, the NHL will hold six outdoor games in 2013-14. The’re all noteworthy, but the one that stands out from the crowd is the Anaheim Ducks’ contest against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.
It raises questions about how the people of Southern California will respond to having an outdoor hockey game. So far the answer appears to be encouraging.
“We’ve started re-sales in conjunction with the Ducks’ season ticket holders [last week], and the league has so far shared with us that we’re selling at a record clip, faster than any of the previous Winter Classics or games, in conjunction with the presales for the season ticket members,” Kings/AEG COO Kelly Cheeseman told LA Kings Insider.
The NHL seems very optimistic about this event, which will start at 7:00 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. ET) on Jan. 25, 2014, from a broadcasting perspective as well.
“‘It just has a different feel’ is what they keep telling us. That’s very intriguing to me,” Cheeseman said. With that in mind, they’re hoping to do something new with this event, although Cheeseman didn’t want to go into specifics at this time.
Holding this many outdoor games in a single season is an experiment for the league and seeing how a non-traditional hockey market responds to such an event is a key part of that. If the Dodger Stadium’s match is a success, it could lead to more southern outdoor games.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 25
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 41
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 95
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)