Sep 1, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
After enjoying years of success with the Winter Classic, the NHL will hold six outdoor games in 2013-14. The’re all noteworthy, but the one that stands out from the crowd is the Anaheim Ducks’ contest against the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.
It raises questions about how the people of Southern California will respond to having an outdoor hockey game. So far the answer appears to be encouraging.
“We’ve started re-sales in conjunction with the Ducks’ season ticket holders [last week], and the league has so far shared with us that we’re selling at a record clip, faster than any of the previous Winter Classics or games, in conjunction with the presales for the season ticket members,” Kings/AEG COO Kelly Cheeseman told LA Kings Insider.
The NHL seems very optimistic about this event, which will start at 7:00 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. ET) on Jan. 25, 2014, from a broadcasting perspective as well.
“‘It just has a different feel’ is what they keep telling us. That’s very intriguing to me,” Cheeseman said. With that in mind, they’re hoping to do something new with this event, although Cheeseman didn’t want to go into specifics at this time.
Holding this many outdoor games in a single season is an experiment for the league and seeing how a non-traditional hockey market responds to such an event is a key part of that. If the Dodger Stadium’s match is a success, it could lead to more southern outdoor games.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 14
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 53
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)