Sep 1, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
The start of training camp is fast approaching for the Phoenix Coyotes, but they still have one piece of offseason business left: They need to re-sign restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker.
“We want Mikkel here, and Mikkel wants to be here,” Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving told the Arizona Republic. “There’s always urgency on both sides. On the same token, you have to do something that makes sense. We’ll continue to work at it.”
The 23-year-old forward is coming off of a two-year, $2.2 million contract. After dominating in Finland during the lockout, he enjoyed his best season with the Coyotes to date by scoring seven goals and 26 points in 48 games. That being said, he only had three goals and seven assists in his final 27 contests in 2013.
Although they still have plenty of time to haggle before the season starts, missing part of the preseason could hurt his chances of ending up on a line with newcomer Mike Ribeiro.
The Coyotes and Boedker can take comfort in the fact that they aren’t in a unique situation. There are still a decent number of restricted free agents remaining and many of them will probably agree to terms in the next week or so.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 28
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 67
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)