Sep 1, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
The start of training camp is fast approaching for the Phoenix Coyotes, but they still have one piece of offseason business left: They need to re-sign restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker.
“We want Mikkel here, and Mikkel wants to be here,” Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving told the Arizona Republic. “There’s always urgency on both sides. On the same token, you have to do something that makes sense. We’ll continue to work at it.”
The 23-year-old forward is coming off of a two-year, $2.2 million contract. After dominating in Finland during the lockout, he enjoyed his best season with the Coyotes to date by scoring seven goals and 26 points in 48 games. That being said, he only had three goals and seven assists in his final 27 contests in 2013.
Although they still have plenty of time to haggle before the season starts, missing part of the preseason could hurt his chances of ending up on a line with newcomer Mike Ribeiro.
The Coyotes and Boedker can take comfort in the fact that they aren’t in a unique situation. There are still a decent number of restricted free agents remaining and many of them will probably agree to terms in the next week or so.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)