Sep 1, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
The start of training camp is fast approaching for the Phoenix Coyotes, but they still have one piece of offseason business left: They need to re-sign restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker.
“We want Mikkel here, and Mikkel wants to be here,” Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving told the Arizona Republic. “There’s always urgency on both sides. On the same token, you have to do something that makes sense. We’ll continue to work at it.”
The 23-year-old forward is coming off of a two-year, $2.2 million contract. After dominating in Finland during the lockout, he enjoyed his best season with the Coyotes to date by scoring seven goals and 26 points in 48 games. That being said, he only had three goals and seven assists in his final 27 contests in 2013.
Although they still have plenty of time to haggle before the season starts, missing part of the preseason could hurt his chances of ending up on a line with newcomer Mike Ribeiro.
The Coyotes and Boedker can take comfort in the fact that they aren’t in a unique situation. There are still a decent number of restricted free agents remaining and many of them will probably agree to terms in the next week or so.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)