Sep 1, 2013, 11:40 AM EST
The start of training camp is fast approaching for the Phoenix Coyotes, but they still have one piece of offseason business left: They need to re-sign restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker.
“We want Mikkel here, and Mikkel wants to be here,” Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving told the Arizona Republic. “There’s always urgency on both sides. On the same token, you have to do something that makes sense. We’ll continue to work at it.”
The 23-year-old forward is coming off of a two-year, $2.2 million contract. After dominating in Finland during the lockout, he enjoyed his best season with the Coyotes to date by scoring seven goals and 26 points in 48 games. That being said, he only had three goals and seven assists in his final 27 contests in 2013.
Although they still have plenty of time to haggle before the season starts, missing part of the preseason could hurt his chances of ending up on a line with newcomer Mike Ribeiro.
The Coyotes and Boedker can take comfort in the fact that they aren’t in a unique situation. There are still a decent number of restricted free agents remaining and many of them will probably agree to terms in the next week or so.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)