Sep 1, 2013, 11:40 AM EDT
The start of training camp is fast approaching for the Phoenix Coyotes, but they still have one piece of offseason business left: They need to re-sign restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker.
“We want Mikkel here, and Mikkel wants to be here,” Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving told the Arizona Republic. “There’s always urgency on both sides. On the same token, you have to do something that makes sense. We’ll continue to work at it.”
The 23-year-old forward is coming off of a two-year, $2.2 million contract. After dominating in Finland during the lockout, he enjoyed his best season with the Coyotes to date by scoring seven goals and 26 points in 48 games. That being said, he only had three goals and seven assists in his final 27 contests in 2013.
Although they still have plenty of time to haggle before the season starts, missing part of the preseason could hurt his chances of ending up on a line with newcomer Mike Ribeiro.
The Coyotes and Boedker can take comfort in the fact that they aren’t in a unique situation. There are still a decent number of restricted free agents remaining and many of them will probably agree to terms in the next week or so.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)