Aug 31, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
It seems inevitable, the dreaded sophomore slump.
In loose terms, it’s when a previous first-year player – doesn’t matter what sport or league, but we’ll stick with hockey on this one – struggles to play up to the expectations set for them in their second year.
The standard is often based on the bottom line: goal production for forwards, perhaps plus-minus ratings for defensemen and wins or losses for goalies.
Perhaps the biggest adjustment to be made for the upcoming 2013-2014 season is it’s a full 82-game schedule, as opposed to the 48 games from last season, which was cut drastically short due to the lockout.
That’s a point Brendan Gallagher, the Montreal Canadiens diminutive forward who had 15 goals and 28 points in 44 regular season games, discussed recently with NHL.com.
“You make sure your body is going to withstand that,” Gallagher told NHL.com.
“A big part of my game is bringing energy to my teammates and bringing energy to how they play and what they can do. It’s just something to focus on every game. I try to be the hardest-working player.
“I try to focus on the things I can control and not worry about the things that you can’t.”
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Sounds like D’Amigo could make his NHL debut tonight.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EST
“He’s working very hard, he’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them.”
Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
They’re 0-for-5 now.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
They’ve been shut out three times in five games.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:07 AM EST
The Calgary defenseman was sidelined since Oct. 21.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:55 PM EST
He notched a career-high four points Wednesday.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 PM EST
Head coach Patrick Roy hasn’t been happy with his work.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:03 PM EST
Detroit sees end of four-game winning streak.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Joining his Buffalo teammate Nikita Zadorov.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Montreal gets seventh win in eight games.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 PM EST
A handsome salary.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
Rare good injury news for the Red Wings.
Dec 4, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
That’s almost $15 million in cap hits on the shelf.
Dec 4, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
Martin Marincin, Corey Potter and Anton Lander get called up.
Dec 4, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
“You’ve got to look at it: Who are your assets?”
Dec 4, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
Hard lines, Team Finland.
Dec 4, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
Tough blow for the reigning Vezina winner.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 40
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)