Aug 31, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Paul Martin is hoping the third time is the charm.
The Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman is looking to make the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team for the 2014 Sochi Games, after being left off the team three years ago due to injury.
In 2006, Martin was a member of the U.S. team’s taxi squad in Torino, Italy.
As J. Brady McCollough of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette notes, Martin suffered an arm injury blocking a Bill Guerin shot in October, just after the start of the 2009-2010 season, which eventually ruined his dream of competing at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of what McCollough wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Read the full version here.
Martin would soon get the bad news — it was broken — but his Olympic dream still felt salvageable. He was supposed to be out eight weeks, only eight turned into 10 or 11, and then he found himself in front of a specialist, telling him he needed surgery.
“I struggled with it for a while,” Martin told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during the recent USA Hockey Olympic orientation camp.
“But I can only control so much, so that’s why I’m thankful for this opportunity. I can’t predict what will happen in those games in the regular season, but just to be ready if they call my name is all I can do.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)