Aug 31, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Paul Martin is hoping the third time is the charm.
The Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman is looking to make the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team for the 2014 Sochi Games, after being left off the team three years ago due to injury.
In 2006, Martin was a member of the U.S. team’s taxi squad in Torino, Italy.
As J. Brady McCollough of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette notes, Martin suffered an arm injury blocking a Bill Guerin shot in October, just after the start of the 2009-2010 season, which eventually ruined his dream of competing at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of what McCollough wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Read the full version here.
Martin would soon get the bad news — it was broken — but his Olympic dream still felt salvageable. He was supposed to be out eight weeks, only eight turned into 10 or 11, and then he found himself in front of a specialist, telling him he needed surgery.
“I struggled with it for a while,” Martin told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during the recent USA Hockey Olympic orientation camp.
“But I can only control so much, so that’s why I’m thankful for this opportunity. I can’t predict what will happen in those games in the regular season, but just to be ready if they call my name is all I can do.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)