Aug 31, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
Paul Martin is hoping the third time is the charm.
The Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman is looking to make the U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team for the 2014 Sochi Games, after being left off the team three years ago due to injury.
In 2006, Martin was a member of the U.S. team’s taxi squad in Torino, Italy.
As J. Brady McCollough of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette notes, Martin suffered an arm injury blocking a Bill Guerin shot in October, just after the start of the 2009-2010 season, which eventually ruined his dream of competing at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Here is a snippet of what McCollough wrote for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Read the full version here.
Martin would soon get the bad news — it was broken — but his Olympic dream still felt salvageable. He was supposed to be out eight weeks, only eight turned into 10 or 11, and then he found himself in front of a specialist, telling him he needed surgery.
“I struggled with it for a while,” Martin told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette during the recent USA Hockey Olympic orientation camp.
“But I can only control so much, so that’s why I’m thankful for this opportunity. I can’t predict what will happen in those games in the regular season, but just to be ready if they call my name is all I can do.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)