Howard’s new mask evokes Spirit of Detroit

Aug 31, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT

Jimmy Howard might have his eyes set on making the U.S. Olympic team, but his next mask pays tribute to Hockeytown.

Bishop Designs created a mask that features “The Spirit of Detroit” holding up the city’s skyline, as you can see on their Facebook page.

Here are a few shots (from the sides and behind):

source:

source:

source:  There are other shots at the Facebook page, including moments from earlier in the design process.

(H/T to George Malik/Puck Daddy.)

Related

More goalie mask fun

Steve Mason’s zombie-history mix

Martin Brodeur’s new one

1. thailer35 - Aug 31, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I don’t know why, but something about this I just can’t like. I think it’s that the “spirit” figure just looks like some high school art class burnout’s notebook drawing, and not like it belongs on an NHL goaltender’s bucket.

Plus, at a glance it looks like he’s giving everyone the bird.

• brentphillip - Sep 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I must give my thanks to Ashley, who posted here last week comment about system she uses to earn online…
      I’ve got my FIRST check total of 550 dollars, pretty cool.! I am so exicted, this is the first time i actually earned something. I am going to work even harder new and i can’t wait for next week payment. You can try it for yourself…>>>> ℬAℛ17.Ⅽ­OⅯ

2. snipedanglecelly13 - Aug 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I like his old helmet better

3. killerpgh - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Kind of looks like the face of Rocky holding up the city sky line. I hope he didn’t pay much for the paint job. I’m far from an artist and I can usually appreciate the hard work and that goes into the skill and detail. But I don’t like much if anything about this mask. Hopefully Howard is a friend of Bishop custom design and let them do this mask to try and boast their business. Otherwise he got scammed, imo.

4. einjzmolf - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:24 PM

‘i put da team on ma back doe’

5. claudegirwho - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Spirit of Detroit= trash blowing around, someone getting stabbed/shot off in the corner, and someone pushing a shopping cart filled with cans to get their ten cents a can. Oh Detroit what spirit you have.

• cheliostwin - Aug 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Spirit of Detroit is a sculpture in front of the city/county building, about two blocks from Joe Louis Arena. It is of a man, seated cross-legged, with his arms outstretched. In his left hand is a stylized sun symbol, and his head is turned to look at his right hand, which has skyscrapers in it. When a national network televises a Red Wings game, they usually send a cameraman out there to get a shot of Spirit of Detroit, since it is one of the best known works of art in Detroit.

• dueman - Aug 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Wrong. In his right hand is a man, woman, and baby. He is not holding any skyscrapers.

6. crnvic847 - Aug 31, 2013 at 11:42 PM

10 cents a can?!?! If 10 cents a can were true I think everyone would be saving their cans!

• zdeb93 - Sep 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM

it is true though: http://www.bottlebill.org/legislation/usa/michigan.htm

• claudegirwho - Sep 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM

When you buy a case of beer here they charge you ten cents per can added on to what you pay for the beer. That’s why people do it as a job out here collecting other people’s trash pushing around shopping carts full of them. If there’s one thing about it is Michigan sure knows how to create jobs hahaha

7. sheckyrimshot - Sep 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

why isnt it robocop?

8. mpg44 - Sep 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

“Spirt of Detroit?”, should have been Obama handing over a blank check signed Taxpayers?

9. jmcurran28 - Sep 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I like it. Jimmy had to play big, and carry the team a lot last season. He held his ground behind a very young defensive squad. He’s confident, but not cocky. Hope he gets a gold medal, and his name on the cup next year.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches