Aug 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Like many other prominent prospects, Ottawa Senators 2012 first-rounder Cody Ceci hopes to become a full-time player in 2013-14.
One thing makes him a little different, or at least brings a different level of attention and pressure: Ceci is also a local. The 19-year-old is positive about the fact that he’s under that kind of spotlight, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I’ve played all my junior hockey here, pretty much, so all the people around here kind of know me,” Ceci said. “They’ve seen me play before so they know what I can do. I’ll just have to keep playing the same way I can and hopefully it’ll be good enough to make the jump to the NHL.
“There’s a huge upside to it. I’d love to play a game in front of all my family and friends in Ottawa.”
The local guy hitting the big time is a great story, but it will only go as far as Ceci’s skills and drive can take it. So far, he’s at least he’s saying all the right things.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 2
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)