Aug 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
Like many other prominent prospects, Ottawa Senators 2012 first-rounder Cody Ceci hopes to become a full-time player in 2013-14.
One thing makes him a little different, or at least brings a different level of attention and pressure: Ceci is also a local. The 19-year-old is positive about the fact that he’s under that kind of spotlight, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I’ve played all my junior hockey here, pretty much, so all the people around here kind of know me,” Ceci said. “They’ve seen me play before so they know what I can do. I’ll just have to keep playing the same way I can and hopefully it’ll be good enough to make the jump to the NHL.
“There’s a huge upside to it. I’d love to play a game in front of all my family and friends in Ottawa.”
The local guy hitting the big time is a great story, but it will only go as far as Ceci’s skills and drive can take it. So far, he’s at least he’s saying all the right things.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)