Aug 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
Like many other prominent prospects, Ottawa Senators 2012 first-rounder Cody Ceci hopes to become a full-time player in 2013-14.
One thing makes him a little different, or at least brings a different level of attention and pressure: Ceci is also a local. The 19-year-old is positive about the fact that he’s under that kind of spotlight, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I’ve played all my junior hockey here, pretty much, so all the people around here kind of know me,” Ceci said. “They’ve seen me play before so they know what I can do. I’ll just have to keep playing the same way I can and hopefully it’ll be good enough to make the jump to the NHL.
“There’s a huge upside to it. I’d love to play a game in front of all my family and friends in Ottawa.”
The local guy hitting the big time is a great story, but it will only go as far as Ceci’s skills and drive can take it. So far, he’s at least he’s saying all the right things.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)