Aug 31, 2013, 4:23 PM EST
Like many other prominent prospects, Ottawa Senators 2012 first-rounder Cody Ceci hopes to become a full-time player in 2013-14.
One thing makes him a little different, or at least brings a different level of attention and pressure: Ceci is also a local. The 19-year-old is positive about the fact that he’s under that kind of spotlight, as he told the Ottawa Citizen on Thursday.
“I’ve played all my junior hockey here, pretty much, so all the people around here kind of know me,” Ceci said. “They’ve seen me play before so they know what I can do. I’ll just have to keep playing the same way I can and hopefully it’ll be good enough to make the jump to the NHL.
“There’s a huge upside to it. I’d love to play a game in front of all my family and friends in Ottawa.”
The local guy hitting the big time is a great story, but it will only go as far as Ceci’s skills and drive can take it. So far, he’s at least he’s saying all the right things.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)